No internet in XP in Virtual Box...

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mjl1297

No internet in XP in Virtual Box...

Post by mjl1297 »

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and installed Virtual Box (first time user) to run Windows XP Pro in order to avoid some of the issues I had with Microsoft's Virtual PC. I am however finding it eminently frustrating in its implementation regarding connecting to the internet. I've watched several videos and read numerous articles and forum posts that one would think would eventually result in a solution but so far no luck.

Windows XP boots fine and there are no exclamation marks in Device Manager under network adapters. When I go to the Network Connection it shows Connected, Firewalled. It should work but it steadfastly refuses to.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I'd rather not run it in bridged mode as this apparently knocks out your internet access in the host machine.

So can it be made to work or should I just look for another virtual machine solution?
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: No internet in XP in Virtual Box...

Post by BillG »

What are you trying to do on the Internet? The default internet browser in XP is way out of date and will not connect to modern web sites. If you can ping an Internet address like 4.2.2.2 or 8.8.8.8, your Internet connection is fine.

Why do you think that using bridged mode will interfere with the host's network connection? I have been running XP on a bridged connection for years without any problems.
Firefox.PNG
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

On the browser issue, you need to download and install a relatively modern browser which still supports XP. These are becoming hard to find, but some websites maintain lists. If necessary you can download the installer to the host, copy it into the guest via a GAs shared folder.
mjl1297

Post by mjl1297 »

Yes I downloaded Pale Moon and it connected straightaway. As for thinking the bridged mode knocked out internet access on the host machine all I can say is that whilst it was in bridge mode, the host machine was unable to get online whereas it was before. When I turned the bridge mode off--voila!--internet access in the host machine. I did say "apparently" after all; based on my experience it seemed a reasonable conclusion to draw.

Regardless VirtualBox doesn't suit my needs. The inability to activate Windows XP is a dealkiller.

Thanks for the input though.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

mjl1297 wrote:Regardless VirtualBox doesn't suit my needs. The inability to activate Windows XP is a dealkiller.
That is a huge leap of logic that you are going to need to explain. Many of us here have Windows XP installed in VirtualBox and I installed a new VM sometime last year (2018) that activated fine. If it isn't activating for you and your internet connection in Windows XP is working that isn't a VirtualBox problem.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving this from the "Windows Hosts" to the "Windows Guests" area, in which area there's a sticky for cases such as the OP's, "No internet for a WinXP guest".

The title may not match 100%, but it's close... :P
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.