OpenGL upside down?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
fourseasons

Re: OpenGL upside down?

Post by fourseasons »

I tested with 3d-acceleration disabled:

NO MORE UPSIDE DOWN ERROR !!!

Thanks for the hint very much!!!
fourseasons

Post by fourseasons »

mpack wrote:There won't be anything in the log. A question I'd want answered is why the text outside the highlighted section is not also upside down, and perhaps look to the host drivers for answers, or the guest app whatever it is.
Are answers to this these questions are helpful after the finding 3D-acceleration the culprit?

(The guest app is a very conservative tax tool. It runs fine under native Windows.)
fourseasons

Post by fourseasons »

I've upgraded VB to 6.1.2. This didn't resolve the problem with 3d-acceleration and upside-down-text.
htrex
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Vista, Win2000, W7

Post by htrex »

Upgraded VirtualBox and guest additions to 6.0.16 and still seeing the same problem: Photoshop images are upside down when switching the Graphics controller from VBoxVGA to VBoxSVGA.
Can't upgrade to Vbox 6.1 as it drops VBoxVGA driver.
Something that may help you to debug: when using the Photoshop transform tool (CTRL+T) the image is temporarily flipped on the correct side.
Vbox log for 6.0.16 is attached.
Please fix this bug soon.
Attachments
Win 10 Home-2020-01-16-10-24-07.zip
(37.63 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

htrex wrote:Please fix this bug soon.
fourseasons wrote:Are answers to this these questions are helpful after the finding 3D-acceleration the culprit?
htrex wrote:please fix it!
Have any of you opened a Bugtracker ticket on this? If there is anything to fix in Virtualbox to solve this, there would be the place to start asking for fixes (politely). We are just fellow users here, and there appears to be nothing in the logs that would blatantly indicate why this would be caused by Virtualbox. Nonetheless, it could be that there's no log entry where the error is happening.

If you have an afternoon and a spare hard disk, try a fresh install of your host OS, the exact same version of host graphics drivers, Virtualbox, and copy over the guest, and see if the OpenGL is still flipped. Also try a fresh guest.
htrex

Post by htrex »

scottgus1 wrote: Have any of you opened a Bugtracker ticket on this?
Just searched the bug tracker and couldn't find it, here's the new ticket https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/19237
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Looks like a good ticket, htrex, with a log & a link back to here.
Let's see what the devs can do.
fourseasons

Post by fourseasons »

htrex wrote: Can't upgrade to Vbox 6.1 as it drops VBoxVGA driver.
VBoxVGA is present in my 6.1.2 Virtualbox (Mac Host)
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

6.1.x actually drops 3D acceleration for the VboxVGA video card. The video card itself is still there and must remain for more long-in-the-tooth supported guest OS's.
jskraba

Post by jskraba »

I think I may have found a solution. I had VBoxSVGA graphics controller chosen and 3D Acceleration box checked and it happend than in some 3D OpenGL programs the image was top-down reversed. I should also note that VirtualBox Additions were installed with Direct3D Support checked.

I tried to disable 3D Acceleration and image was no longer reversed, however 3D rendering performance was quite poor.

After reinstalling the VirtualBox Additions with Direct3D Support cleared, the image in 3D OpenGL programs not longer is reversed although the VBoxSVGA graphics controller is chosen and 3D Acceleration box checked. Within the 3D OpenGL programs the performance is now as expected.

To sum up, reinstall the VirtualBox Additions and assure that Direct3D Support is disabled, then in Display tab of VirtualBox machine settings select VBoxSVGA graphics controller and check 3D Acceleration.
htrex

Post by htrex »

jskraba wrote:To sum up, reinstall the VirtualBox Additions and assure that Direct3D Support is disabled, then in Display tab of VirtualBox machine settings select VBoxSVGA graphics controller and check 3D Acceleration.
@jskraba, how could you install guest additions with Direct3D support disabled?
On a Linux host Windows 10 guest, I've tried to do it and the relative checkbox in Vbox Additions installer is always selected, greyed out and unchangeable, no matter if I enable or disable VBoxSVGA graphics controller 3D Acceleration in the virtual machine settings, I couldn't uncheck it.

Also, when installing the VirtualBox Additions, if you look at the Direct3D support option description on the right it says "Enables Direct3D and OpenGL acceleration..."

Are you sure that OpenGL is accelerated on your guest, or you're seeing placebo effect?
creqxynfbjizrtcxfe

Post by creqxynfbjizrtcxfe »

The problem is still present in VirtualBox v6.1.18 and it seems to be NVIDIA related.
htrex

Post by htrex »

creqxynfbjizrtcxfe wrote:The problem is still present in VirtualBox v6.1.18 and it seems to be NVIDIA related.
I can confirm the issue while using Photoshop on a Windows 10 Guest / Ubuntu 20.04 Host / Virtualbox 6.1.18
while using the Intel i7-7700HQ integrated GPU (HD Graphics 630).

I can't see any relation with NVIDIA GPU/Drivers.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

htrex wrote:I can't see any relation with NVIDIA GPU/Drivers.
To check if Nvidia drivers are involved, open the VM's vbox.log and search for every line containing:

supR3Hardened

If the line mentions an Nvidia dll then the host graphics drivers are being compelled into service for 3D acceleration and the dll being mentioned does not pass security signing checks for some reason.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I doubt that a hardening error will result in graphics being upside down. I doubt that it's a coincidence that Windows standard "Device Independant Bitmaps" are normally upside down, so I think we're seeing a host driver bug. A very rare one. I don't believe it can be VirtualBox otherwise we'd see the problem much more often. So it's a host driver, probably for a specific host chipset that isn't used that often for 3D.

I don't buy that it's NVidia: NVidia OpenGL support has a good reputation and they have a long track record in 3D, signing slipups notwithstanding - and again it's a very popular vendor so I'd expect to see the problem more often. I do buy that it could be Intel Graphics. I've had my own bad experiences with that (not this problem tho).