win98 onto win 10

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
domain50

win98 onto win 10

Post by domain50 »

Hi,
could anyone tell me how to run win 98 on virtualbox. when I run virtual box, with
the win 98 ops on, I get no bootable medium found system halted.
how do I get around this?
also, do I need floppys or disk, harddrive to use on install win98 onto win10?

thanks.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: win98 onto win 10

Post by andyp73 »

domain50 wrote:could anyone tell me how to run win 98 on virtualbox
There is a tutorial on installing Windows 95/98 as a VirtualBox guest. VirtualBox doesn't provide the installation media, you need to do that.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests", the "Windows Host" isn't relevant...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
domain50

Post by domain50 »

hi,
using virtual box is new to me. I have tried to install win 98 using virtualbox but hit trouble at an
early stage.
I use vb and start it (trying to install win 98)
but I need to get a round the: ' no bootable medium found system halted': on the black screen when I
try to install the win 98. I fall at the first herdle, I really do??
Do I load off floppy disks or dvd and how many floppy disks does win 98 on vb use?
thanks.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

domain50 wrote:Do I load off floppy disks or dvd and how many floppy disks does win 98 on vb use?
It probably depends on which version of Windows 98 you have. If I recall correctly, early versions had a single boot floppy and CD-ROM whereas by the time Windows 98SE came about it was a bootable CD.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
tensecun
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: OSE Fedora
Guest OSses: OS

Post by tensecun »

i have a backup in Hard disk will that okay to bootable my windows ?
Last edited by socratis on 1. May 2019, 18:33, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@tensecun
Can you please explain to me what does your question have to do with the discussion in this topic?

Please don't hijack/piggyback on other people's threads, it's easy enough to open your own...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.