Can not install application from share folder

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
King_mario

Can not install application from share folder

Post by King_mario »

When I install some Install Shield appliction from a shared folder, an error will occur. It says the path does not exist.
I have Virtualbox 6.04, extensions and Guest Additions for 6.04 installed. the Host is Windows 8.1 the guest is Windows 7.
How can I solve this problem?
Attachments
Win7New-2019-04-29-00-07-50.zip
(24.35 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Can not install application from share folder

Post by socratis »

Copy the file/installer to the VM. Network installations don't always work, even in real systems.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
King_mario

Post by King_mario »

Thanks for your replay. But this is a big truble for me. because I will install a big software which is about 30G to guest system. It will cost lots of diskspace to copy them. The USB disk can't work in my guest system, and now the sharefold can't work either. Do you have any advice to install such a big software?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Complain to Microsoft. As I said, these things happen in real systems as well, this is clearly not a VirtualBox issue.
King_mario wrote:The USB disk can't work in my guest system
Why is that? Did you read the "USB basics and troubleshooting", all of the posts?
King_mario wrote:and now the sharefold can't work either
Sorry, but no, Shared Folders *are* working. It's the installer that doesn't, huge difference...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
King_mario

Post by King_mario »

Ok, I thought the share folder is easier than USB capture.

and after reading "USB basics and troubleshooting", I managed to use a 16GB usb USB stick. I will try USB 3.0 removable Hard disk tomorrow.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The installer is 30GB? Wow. That hardly seems practical.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I have the installer for the "X-Plane 10" flight simulator in physical form, which is 8 dual-layer DVDs! :shock:

Actually I have it twice, since DVD#2 from the first set was corrupt (the one that included the scenery from Greece), and when I asked for a replacement, they sent me the whole thing again! :D

Thrice, if you count the ISOs that I have as a backup, same situation as the OP... ;)
King_mario

Post by King_mario »

The usb hard disk works properly now. I think the problem have encountered is the USB3.0 driver not suitable for the guests.
I want to install SIEMENS TIA software package which is huge and has strict requirements.