x64 architecture,x32 host,x64 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
CaciquePower

x64 architecture,x32 host,x64 guest

Post by CaciquePower »

hi,
i need help with this

i have a system capable of works x64 (8 Gb of Ram ),
but because my old sound card
i had to install windows 7 x32 (only Recognize 4 Gb of Ram)
now a days the music software ( sounds) are really good and would like to use them, but they require big amount of RAM
here comes my problem and is driving me crazy
would like to use my sound card and the 8 gigas
first i tried with PAE but couldnt do it
then i tried with "Readyfor4Gb" and ti looks somehow my system cant support ...
now i wonder if i can do it with virtualbox , using windows10 but when i try to install it , an error happens
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: x64 architecture,x32 host,x64 guest

Post by mpack »

The defining feature of 32bit Windows is that it can't use more than 4GB RAM. They don't use PAE, at least not to access RAM. No version of Windows since the Vista era really cares about PAE: Microsoft policy is that if you need >4GB then install a 64bit OS.

If you run a VM then RAM for it is allocated by the host OS. If the host OS doesn't understand RAM beyond 4GB then it obviously can't allocate that RAM to a process that simulates a PC. The fact that it simulates a 64bit PC doesn't change that basic fact.

Lots of people currently install 64bit Windows on PCs with 4GB RAM or less. Microsoft doesn't block this, and users get no direct benefit from doing so, except of course the important ability to run 64bit-only apps.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Hi,

Maybe try a different approach.

Leaving aside VirtualBox virtualization for the moment, on the host install Windows 7 64-bit (legally you are allowed to use the same licence to install either 32-bit, or 64-bit (but not both at once!)), then try using Windows 'Compatibility Mode', possibly XP SP3 option, to install the sound card driver?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Dave B wrote:then try using Windows 'Compatibility Mode', possibly XP SP3 option, to install the sound card driver?
Or get yourself a cheap USB sound adapter, for less than 8€...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Dave B wrote: on the host install Windows 7 64-bit ..., then try using Windows 'Compatibility Mode', possibly XP SP3 option, to install the sound card driver?
That would not work. I'm pretty sure that "compatibility modes" only affect user level apps, not drivers - but in any case you can't install a 32bit driver on a 64bit host.
CaciquePower

Post by CaciquePower »

Understand,
thank you
Last edited by socratis on 15. Apr 2019, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

mpack wrote:...but in any case you can't install a 32bit driver on a 64bit host.
Ah, good point!
My apologies to the OP for offering a flawed suggestion.