Launching trouble

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Failz13405

Launching trouble

Post by Failz13405 »

Hi. im trying to install windows XP in Virtualbox, but when i hit start, i just get a small black screen. when i try to close it, it just says not responding
Attachments
VB.PNG
VB.PNG (28.62 KiB) Viewed 4130 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Launching trouble

Post by socratis »

It seems that you have Hyper-V enabled. Do you see the "slow" icon (Image) in the status bar?

Look in the "Control Panel" » "Programs and Features" » "Turn Windows features on or off", and make sure that the none of the following are active:
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
If VirtualBox is running without Hyper-V enabled, where proper, hardware virtualization is actually available, then the standard virtualization icon (Image) would show. Disable Hyper-V in your host and see what happens...

PS. For future reference, next time please downsize your attached images by 50% (at least), or simply change the DPI to 72. Not everyone has the luxury of a HiDPI display ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Failz13405

Post by Failz13405 »

hey, sorry for the large image lol. i have disabled all of those things and i still have the slow icon on my status bar and it still will not launch, any other suggestions?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Failz13405 wrote:and it still will not launch
As I mentioned, it launches, but it's really slow. If you leave it for 3-4 days it will run... ;)

Since you asked the question, I've added a couple of items on the "to check" list. But Microsoft keeps adding things on that list, so it may very well be not complete:
  • Application Guard
  • Credential Guard
  • Device Guard
  • <any> * Guard
  • Containers
  • Hyper-V
  • Virtual Machine Platform
  • Windows Hypervisor Platform
  • Windows Sandbox
That's all I have. For the moment...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Failz13405

Post by Failz13405 »

thanks for the help. but still no luck :(
Minh Hieu

Post by Minh Hieu »

my computer is Windows 10 1809 (OS build17763.557).
virtualbox is 6.0.8 r130520 (Qt5.6.2)
let me describe.
After using Hyper-v then i want to run Virtualbox but fail so i'm searching in Google to fix it, i do allthing i can found then i can run virtualbox now
after that im running Windows server 2012 r2 then add role" hyper v" but failed( see the attachment picture).
well, i'm seraching google again then everything they support is the same( turn off windows feature hyperv, guard host, containers,... type code in cmd, powershell,..)
i dont know how to fix this, im searching all day in feel hopeless( don't make me reinstall Windows)
bonus: virtualbox run ok, all machine run ok before i turn in Hyper v in windows features
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (16.47 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Minh Hieu wrote:after that im running Windows server 2012 r2 then add role" hyper v" but failed
If you're running a Win2012r2 VM, and you want to enable Hyper-V in your VM, you can't. VT-x doesn't get passed through to the guest, unless you are using an AMD CPU and VirtualBox > 6.0.0.

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Minh Hieu

Post by Minh Hieu »

here is my log as you want, thank you for your support!
today have 1 error notification memory not enough because my antivirus is running full scan so if you see this log, you can pass it
thank you
Attachments
SRV-2019-06-21-09-29-55.zip
(25.71 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I see from your log that you have an Intel Win10 host and a Win2012server as your guest. I'm afraid I have to ask again; are you getting the error from your guest, that you cannot enable Hyper-V in your guest?
Minh Hieu

Post by Minh Hieu »

yes, Win10 host and a Win2012server as guest and i can not install Hyper-v
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

As I said, you can't install Hyper-V inside a guest, it's not supported. VT-x (hardware acceleration) is not available in a guest.
Minh Hieu

Post by Minh Hieu »

i see, as i know when i running VMware, i can config to running Hyper-v inside a guest Win2012server
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (9.56 KiB) Viewed 3654 times
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

Yes, but VMWare is not VirtualBox. There are lots of things which work in one but not in the other. IF you want nested virtualization, use VMWare.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

BillG wrote:IF you want nested virtualization, use VMWare.
Or get an AMD CPU! ;)

For the moment...
Minh Hieu

Post by Minh Hieu »

:lol: :lol: :lol: if possible, i like running it in Virtualbox