Guest Additions break Windows update in Windows 10 Guests

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Twilek_de

Guest Additions break Windows update in Windows 10 Guests

Post by Twilek_de »

Hi all,

I have several Windows 10 guests in Virtualbox, when I have guest additions installed the search for windows updates will never finish or will show a timeout. When I uninstall the GA Update will work again immediately. Is anybody else seeing that???

Regards

Twilek
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Additions break Windows update in Windows 10 Guests

Post by socratis »

1. Nope, and I haven't heard something similar either...
  2. Why do you think that it's the GAs that make this happen? I don't see the connection, there's nothing network-related in the GAs, nothing at all...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Twilek_de

Post by Twilek_de »

Well in the end it was trial and error. The search for new updates doesn´t complete for about half a year now without any meaningful error messages or log entries and I tried a lot of troubleshooting to get it to work again (I also did a repair installation). In the end I downloaded and installed all patches individually which worked. Then I tried to uninstall GA and the update would immediately work again as planned. After having successfully installed the updates I reinstalled GA and Windows Update would hang again. Uninstall it and update works. Now I will uninstall GA to have important updates installed and then reinstall it afterwards to be able to work again with the VM.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You got to remember that the update servers of Microsoft are doing the same thing for physical systems too. I have 3 Win hosts and sometims it feels that I could get pregnant, give birth and send my child to the university before they return with an answer... :D

I believe its a serendipitous occurrence that you witnessed there, can't explain it otherwise...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Twilek_de

Post by Twilek_de »

Nope it is definitely directly linked to the GA. The effect is 100% reproducable in this VM and a VM I have with a fast ring prerelease version of Win 10. I had other Win 10 VMs but I have deleted them some time ago. Maybe it is something I did to my system here or something else I have installed on the VMs which somehow does not really play together with Win Update and GAs but I have no clue what this may be. But as it stands at the moment. Installed GA=Win update always fails, without GA=Win Update always works, strange as it may seem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Twilek_de wrote:Nope it is definitely directly linked to the GA
Since you're the only one that's reported something similar to that, I will need proof, serious proof and a reproducible scenario. One data point = Zero data points.

I need you to download the Microsoft Win10 ISO and setup a new VM and try to replicate the problem with as little deviations from the recipe as possible. Write down every step. Let's see if it's reproducible.

You didn't mention your host, but if it's Windows, you're not going to be given a link to the ISO, but rather to the Media Creation Tool. Let me know and I'll generate the ISO links for you. Just tell me which language and which bitness you want, 32- or 64-bit.
Twilek_de wrote:Maybe it is something I did to my system here or something else I have installed on the VMs which somehow does not really play together with Win Update and GAs but I have no clue what this may be.
Same here. But I want to take one variable out of the equation; VirtualBox. See what apps you have installed. Make a list of all the apps in the VM and post it.

Just to give you an somewhat similar example. My trusted Win7-32 VM all of a sudden started complaining that the Direct3D drivers are corrupt when I try to install the 6.0.97 GAs development builds. Only. When I install the 6.0.5 ones, no problem. I tried to replicate the problem with a fresh Win7-32 VM, I couldn't. Conclusion? Something is wrong with my original Win7-32 VM. Good luck figuring out what... But definitely not a VirtualBox bug.
Markus N.

Post by Markus N. »

I can confirm this problem. Now Twilek_de not the only one anymore.
AndyCot

Post by AndyCot »

@Markus N. As requested in the other thread can you please supply the log as it has not been supplied.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Markus N. wrote:I can confirm this problem. Now Twilek_de not the only one anymore.
If somebody said a Giraffe sprang out of the VM window and ate his chair then someone else is sure to say "me too". What we believe is logs, and a way to repeat the problem ourselves.