Installing Win XP on VB running on a Win10 machine

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
flowers

Installing Win XP on VB running on a Win10 machine

Post by flowers »

Hello. New to VB. Need installing my XP (32bits) original CD on a VM using VB running on a Win10(64bits) platform. Why? because XP was the last Windows OS to accept the driver for my old HP flatbed scanner. Is it possible? It was, when I used VMWare Player running on a Win7(32bits) machine. Any help will be much appreciated. Cheers, Flowers.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Installing Win XP on VB running on a Win10 machine

Post by socratis »

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.

For your WinXP, I would strongly suggest that you make an ISO out of the CD. It's way faster than trying from the real thing. Then take another look again at the ch. 1.9. Running your virtual machine.

And finally, the USB passthrough that you will be looking at, read first the USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts. Keep in mind that the scanners and multi-purpose machines of that nature, are a little bit stubborn, it might or might not work...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
flowers

Re: Installing Win XP on VB running on a Win10 machine

Post by flowers »

Dear Socratis,
Yes, I'm new to VB, and will follow your recommendations.
Thanks a lot.
flowers