[Solved] Text cursor disappears with VirtualBox 6.0.4 in Windows 10 guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
HF

[Solved] Text cursor disappears with VirtualBox 6.0.4 in Windows 10 guest

Post by HF »

In my Windows 10 guest, the mouse cursor disappears when it is over a textbox or other text entry such as Visual Studio or Word, or even notepad. All of the other cursors (pointer, wait cursor etc) are fine.

The only workaround I've found is to change the mouse point for the "Text Input" cursor to a custom value or to change the entire mouse scheme to the "Windows Black" scheme.

However, this workaround looks terrible as the black text cursor doesn't size correctly and just plain looks weird.

Any better ideas than my workaround?
Last edited by socratis on 20. Apr 2019, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Text cursor disappears with VirtualBox 6.0.4 in Windows 10 guest

Post by socratis »

If your Graphics Controller is set to VBoxSVGA, try changing it to VBoxVGA, when the VM is completely shut-down.

If that doesn't work, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
HF

Post by HF »

I just updated to VirtualBox v6.0.6 and the cursor problems I was having are gone.

thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for letting us know. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
cljes

Re: [Solved] Text cursor disappears with VirtualBox 6.0.4 in Windows 10 guest

Post by cljes »

I'm on VB 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.6.2) and have the exact same problem. I've tried reinstalling the Guest Additions but without any luck. This is driving me insane... please advice...

Host: Windows 10 Enterprise
Guest: Windows 10 Pro N

UPDATE: My setup is a laptop with two external displays through a USB dock. My displays identify themselves in this order: 1 3 2 with 1 being the laptop. I want my VirtualBox to use 2+3 with 2 as my main display. For some reason changing the scaling on my laptop from 150% (Recommended) to 100% has fixed my problem after a sign out/in.

Thanks in advance
Jirin

Post by Jirin »

I have the same problem. It occurred after migration of the host from
- old laptop with full HD display (scaling set to 150%)
to
- new laptop with 4K display (scaling set to 250%)
I have VM screen mostly on external monitor with resolution 1920x1200 (scaling 100% in both, host and VM).
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Jirin, You may notice that no response was had for the poster 'cljes' above you from 3 months before your post, and their post was three months after this thread was marked Solved.

"New Topic" would be better, even if you are also running the exact version of Virtualbox on the exact same host PC the OP 'HF' had.

In other words, Do not hijack other threads, create your own. Choose your title carefully. And zip & post a guest log in your new topic post.
teckel

Re: [NOT Solved] Text cursor disappears with VirtualBox 6.0.4 in Windows 10 guest

Post by teckel »

Jirin wrote:I have the same problem. It occurred after migration of the host from
- old laptop with full HD display (scaling set to 150%)
to
- new laptop with 4K display (scaling set to 250%)
I have VM screen mostly on external monitor with resolution 1920x1200 (scaling 100% in both, host and VM).
Similar experience to mine. And just so everyone knows, this problem has been around since 2008. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12633

I can find no way around it other than to hit Ctrl to put the mouse in caged mode. Which is then a TERRIBLE experience when you're going back and forth between and host and guest all day long.

This is clearly NOT solved. It just happens to be a bug that will sometimes get solved from an update for some people, but the core problem has not been fixed.

Tim