Validation with a retail license

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jcdole
Primary OS: openSUSE
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: WIN 7, WIN 10

Validation with a retail license

Post by jcdole »

Hello.
I suppose that Microsoft will not refuse validation with a windows 10 home payed license when activating a vm just because microsoft knows that it is a virtual machine.

Any help is welcome
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Validation with a retail license

Post by mpack »

In general, a virtual machine is the same as any other PC. It's only activation on more than one PC (physical or virtual) that would cause activation problems, unless your license allows it.

If the license belongs to an OEM edition of Win10 bundled with a PC then it is possible that it will not install on anything except that PC. Though AFAIK that option is becoming rarer.
jcdole
Primary OS: openSUSE
Guest OSses: WIN 7, WIN 10

Post by jcdole »

Hello.
I just asked because some Microsoft tools show clearly that it is a virtual vm.

After calling Microsoft for validation by phone, Microsoft staff told me that my key is a correct key.
So my install was validate.

Have a good day.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

jcdole wrote: I just asked because some Microsoft tools show clearly that it is a virtual vm.
And so it is. However that doesn't make it suspect in any way, which seems to be your assumption. If you have a license for the VM that is distinct from your physical devices then you have every right to install Windows in a VM. VirtualBox will be identified as the manufacturer just as HP is identified as the manufacturer of the PC I'm typing on.