Shared Folder Drive Letter Assignment in V6 (again)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Old Newbie

Shared Folder Drive Letter Assignment in V6 (again)

Post by Old Newbie »

Followed the discussions regarding the assignment of drive letters to network shares. If I have understood correctly, VB does not assign drive letters to shared folders, the Windows Guest makes those assignments.

Well, something changed! Just upgraded from 5.2.26 to 6.0.4. I have a several guest machines running Win XP, Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10. All use the same Shared Folder and the Auto Mount option is checked in the machine settings. Through versions 2, 3, 4 and 5 of VB, Windows, regardless of version, has always mapped this folder as drive E.

After the upgrade, these same VB machines now map the drive to the letter Z.

I found the posts that discuss not using Auto Mount, and mapping the drives within the guests themselves to the desired drive letter, but have had problems, which I believe are related to the shared folder having a space in its name. I don't have an urgent requirement to map shared folders to specific drive letters, but I do like consistency.

Since the Windows guest machines didn't change (no recent updates applied), it seems to me VB changed something that causes the guest to choose the last drive letter available, instead of the first open drive letter.

I'd like to not have to change from auto mount to drive mapping on 15 or so guests.

Anyone have any idea what happened, and is there a setting that can be changed? Until the, I reverted back to 5.2.26.

O.N.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Shared Folder Drive Letter Assignment in V6 (again)

Post by socratis »

Old Newbie wrote:If I have understood correctly, VB does not assign drive letters to shared folders, the Windows Guest makes those assignments.
Something like that, yes.
Old Newbie wrote:Through versions 2, 3, 4 and 5 of VB, Windows, regardless of version, has always mapped this folder as drive E.
I believe that this was a Windows decision, not a VirtualBox one, but I could be wrong. There's no consistency really on this, or I'm not familiar with one. If you had more drives or CDs in your Win computer, it certainly wouldn't be E: the one that was offered...
Old Newbie wrote:After the upgrade, these same VB machines now map the drive to the letter Z.
Yes, something has changed actually, I don't know why, but I think I know which is the correct behavior. If you map a Windows network share, then the letter offered by Windows Explorer is actually the last available one, not the first available one. So maybe a bug was fixed or an erroneous behavior addressed!
Old Newbie wrote:All use the same Shared Folder and the Auto Mount option is checked in the machine settings.
There's an additional option there, the "Mount point". Use that to specifically assign a drive letter for the Win guest to map that share to the drive you want in your guest. If "E:\" is your favorite, then fill "E:" in there, don't forget the colon (:)...
Old Newbie wrote:I don't have an urgent requirement to map shared folders to specific drive letters, but I do like consistency.
See above.
Old Newbie wrote:it seems to me VB changed something that causes the guest to choose the last drive letter available, instead of the first open drive letter.
Again, see above. Or actually have two Windows guest networked and see what Windows offers as a letter when asked to "Remount the share at logon".
Old Newbie wrote:I'd like to not have to change from auto mount to drive mapping on 15 or so guests.
Just use the new "Mount point" option in 6.0.x...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.