[Resolved] Guest Addition needed when importing a VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
52ROSt

[Resolved] Guest Addition needed when importing a VM

Post by 52ROSt »

Host VB 6.0.4
Linux Mint 19.3 MATE

I am running VMs (Windows XP and W7 ) in LM17.3 KDE and want to import these machines into my new Linux system.

Do I need to install Guest Addition in VB 6.0.4 before I can import these virtual Windows machines?

What is the best format for exporting the virtual Windows machine for import into VB 6.0.4?

Thanks in advance for your helping replies.
Last edited by socratis on 13. Feb 2019, 11:40, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Addition needed when importing a VM

Post by socratis »

52ROSt wrote:Do I need to install Guest Addition in VB 6.0.4 before I can import these virtual Windows machines?
The Guest Additions (GAs) are not a requirement. They're a "nice to have". But if you've already installed them, there's no need to reinstall them.
52ROSt wrote:What is the best format for exporting the virtual Windows machine for import into VB 6.0.4?
Take a look at the FAQ "Moving a VM". Pretty much you copy the whole VM folder, and you add the VM to your new host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
52ROSt

Post by 52ROSt »

Thanks for your reply
socratis wrote:The Guest Additions (GAs) are not a requirement. They're a "nice to have". But if you've already installed them, there's no need to reinstall them.
The Guest Addtions are installed in my old Linux machine. Are they carried over when I copy a machine from my old to my new Linux machine?

Moving the entire folder is what I will try.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

The Guest Additions are a "program" that's installed in the VM. Your question is similar to asking me "I have installed Firefox in my VM, will it be carried over?". Of course it will... ;)

On the other hand it never hurt anyone if the GAs are reinstalled once more. Or many times...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
52ROSt

Post by 52ROSt »

@socratis

Thanks for your helpful explanations. The Firefox example was an excellent one.