[Solved] Recover Backup VMs

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Didi

[Solved] Recover Backup VMs

Post by Didi »

I have a computer running Windows 10 with VirtualBox 5.1.14. In this VirtualBox, I have 4 machines that are Linux. I always back-up these machines, like this: File -> Export Appliance; to import, I do: File -> Import Appliance.
Nowadays, I want to import a virtual machine to another computer. After importation made performed successfully, I started the machine, it shows an error: [image]

So, I appreciate the help.
Attachments
Error
Error
20190212.jpg (119.08 KiB) Viewed 1512 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Recover Backup VMs

Post by andyp73 »

Didi wrote:I have a computer running Windows 10 with VirtualBox 5.1.14
This is a very old version of VirtualBox and is no longer supported. As a separate exercise, you may want to consider upgrading to 5.2.26 or 6.0.4 (the current versions as of writing).

I'm not sure what you used to take the image but cropping and resizing it to something smaller and more manageable would have been great!

To give any real guidance we are going to need the VBox.log file from the directory in the error dialog. Please ZIP it and attach it here.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Since you have a Windows 10 host, please use the "Snipping Tool" to grab screenshots in future.

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
Didi

Post by Didi »

Sorry for the size of the picture, but I'm worried about the situation and I did not pay attention.
Sorry but I do not know what the file is. So, I'm putting two files together.
Attachments
LogVB.zip
Log VirtualBox
(63.49 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Incidentally, your method of creating backups does not actually create backups, it creates clones in a foreign format. The difference is that a clone is a working VM, but it isn't necessarily identical to the original VM (e.g. the disk format changes to VMDK, UUIDs will change), which a backup should be.

The recommended backup procedure is described here: FAQ: How to move a VM (backup of a VM is simply moving/copying the VM folder to secondary storage).

Regarding your error, your host seems to be very low on resources. 1325MB available, and you are allocating 1024MB+12MB graphics RAM to this VM. I don't think that is sustainable. I would reduce the main RAM allocation to 512MB, but I'd increase the graphics RAM to 48MB.

You should also fix this :-
00:00:02.439961 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
Your processor is old (discontinued in 2010) but apparantly it does support VT-x. You need to enable it in the host BIOS.
Didi

Post by Didi »

mpack wrote:Since you have a Windows 10 host, please use the "Snipping Tool" to grab screenshots in future.

Please post a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click and "Show Log" in the GUI, save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip, and attach the zip here.
I did not know this tool, I will use next time.
I needed to zip the file because it's bigger than 128kb.
Attachments
Sped-2019-02-12-10-56-40.zip
Vboxlog
(46.22 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
Didi

Post by Didi »

I enabled this option in the host BIOS: Intel Virtual Technology. It worked!
So, I'd like to thank you. Thank you so much for your attention. :)
Last edited by Didi on 12. Feb 2019, 20:07, edited 2 times in total.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

You're welcome, and thanks for reporting back.