Guest Additions 6.0 and later *broken* on WinXP/Reactos? (#18187)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
blackcrack

Guest Additions 6.0 and later *broken* on WinXP/Reactos? (#18187)

Post by blackcrack »

Hi Peoples,

could be really nice if the Ticket:
https://www.virtualbox.org/ticket/18187

fixed as soon as possible, because Virtualbox is need also
on the community of reactos for finding errors and testing out.

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-15446
https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-15 ... ent-111805
Reactosfanboy wrote: VBox 6.0 guest additions are broken, coded wrong, they overwrite the kernel memory with random crap, putting the whole system at risk. ReactOS prevents itself from this buggy driver in dbg builds. In release builds it does not protect itself from the devestating things that driver does any longer (after the change). What you call "we should be doing it right" means basically: Ros should just shut its eyes and let all that horrible stuff happen. The VBox driver is buggy and needs to be fixed and will get fixed in the end by the VBox guys. Until then you can use ros release builds if you want your computer do be devestated by the broken driver. Requesting the same for debug builds is just no sane request. This PR is no bugfix, it just tolerates kernel corruption in rls-config (like Windows does in rls). If you want a proper solution, contact the VBox guys (or use their mature versions).
also for making the Virtual-instance more secure with the guest-addons ..
because this make a security risk .

thank you very much
and best regards
Blacky
Last edited by blackcrack on 7. Feb 2019, 18:39, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest Additions 6.0 and later *broken* on WinXP/Reactos? (#18187)

Post by mpack »

If the ReactOS devs have evidence of a VirtualBox bug then I'm sure the VBox devs would be grateful for a BugTracker ticket giving the details. Posing the comments in terms of the ReactOS community is not likely to find much traction though, since I doubt many paying clients are using ReactOS.
Dave B

Post by Dave B »

Just to confirm the issue is indeed fixed with latest GA development version (ReactOS 0.4.11 RC-34, and VBoxGuestAdditions_6.0.97-128668.iso tested). @bird Thank you kindly!
blackcrack

Post by blackcrack »

Hi,

thank you very muchto @Bird !

[ModEdit: Testcase ISO link removed, the build revision was "VBoxGuestAdditions_6.0.97-128668.iso"

Thank you ThFabba for announcing !
CORE-15446

best regards
Blacky
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I removed the link that you had to the testcase ISO. Those are really specific and will be gone in a week or two. Even complete Test Builds have a life span of a maximum of 3 weeks, they're auto-deleted after that...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
blackcrack

Post by blackcrack »

thumps up,
if the next Version of VBox fixed, then is all okey :)
I want say, Test Ros with the VM from Stuttgart and not with a other commercial VM \*g* ;)

best regards
Blacky