VirtualBox 6.0.2 - Failed to open a saved WinXP session

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
K.C.

VirtualBox 6.0.2 - Failed to open a saved WinXP session

Post by K.C. »

Hello!
you help is very much appreciated.

I am running a WinXP guest on Win 7 pro host.
Since Virtualbox upgrade from 5.xx to 6.00 or 6.02 I am able to start the VM from switched-OFF state (either after switching the guest off or by discarding the saved state), however I am no longer able to start it from the saved state.
An attempt to start the VM from saved state results in the following error at 97% progress loading the VM:
The VM session was aborted.
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
Once I downgrade Virtualbox back to 5.2.22 it saves a machine state and loads it again flawlessly.
Is this the expected behavior or how could I fix it?
Thank you in advance!
The log is attached.
Attachments
XP_RU_1-2019-01-19-01-08-38.zip
(24.81 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
Last edited by K.C. on 19. Jan 2019, 03:09, edited 3 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox 6.0.2 - Failed to open a saved WinXP session

Post by socratis »

Take a look at the Known issues in the "Discuss the 6.0.0" release. You seem to be facing #18265 Win7 in VB 6.0.0 fails on resume on 97% or #18263 Restoring 32bit Windows7 VM Saved State Fails.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
K.C.

Post by K.C. »

Hello Sokratis,
thx for prompt response.
Changing IO APIC to "enabled" didn't help (ref Ticket #18265 ).
should I now raise a ticket, wait until the issues you cited are fixed or might there be any workaround?
Thank you!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Try to disable the cache. And I'm pretty sure that you didn't go through all the results of the suggested search, that would take time and you responded almost immediately. Please search before opening a ticket...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
K.C.

Post by K.C. »

Hello Sokratis,
I tried to switch cache off - no improvement, however.

Well, I've looked through the suggested thread now;
I believe the most relevant posting is the post "Re: Discuss the 6.0.0 release" "Post by ciamaulex » 20. Dec 2018, 16:04" (sorry, I am not permitted to post it as u.r.l. yet).

I also understand that "Changing IO APIC to "enabled" didn't help", as it is described in the User Manual, 3.5.1, that "Turning it on after installation will have no effect".
At this point I'll roll back to 5.2.x, however I'll be happy to try any proposal intended to resolve the issue.
Thank you for your help!
Last edited by socratis on 19. Jan 2019, 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.