Guest Additions 6.0 and later *broken* on Vista? (#18308)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Lapis_Lazuli
Primary OS: MS Windows 8.1
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: a lot

Re: Guest Additions 6.0 and later *broken* on Vista? (#18308)

Post by Lapis_Lazuli »

I have the exact same problem with a Vista Home Premium x64 guest on a Windows 10 Home x64 host.
MuldeR

Post by MuldeR »

To whom it may interest: VirtualBox Guest Additions v6.1 still broken on Windows Vista! As a new great "bonus" feature, Windows Vista will now reproducibly crash after UAC dialog.

Had to disable "3D acceleration" in VirtualBox settings, then turn-off UAC in the Windows Vista guest, then re-enable "3D acceleration" in VirtualBox settings.

Anyhow, using the above workaround way we can avoid the UAC-related crash, but the Direct3D bug ("VboxDispD3D.dll" error), that has existed ever since VirtualBox 6.0, still is the same as before:

(posted here for documentary purposes)
VirtualBox v6.1 Bug in Windows Vista
VirtualBox v6.1 Bug in Windows Vista
vbox_v6-1-still_broken.jpg (71.24 KiB) Viewed 3001 times
Attachments
VBox-log.zip
Log file. Not that it contains anything new, but since mods will use "missing" logs as an excuse to ignore legit bug reports, here we go!
(29.59 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
rytomi

Post by rytomi »

Updated to 6.1.2 today, Guest Extensions for Vista's graphics drivers are still broken, no aero.

I think it's becoming clear Oracle has no intention of fixing this.
Xx_Nikki_xX

Post by Xx_Nikki_xX »

At least your guys' guests load into the OS. Mine immediately crashes and blue, well, actually red screens when booting. Cept the red screen is squashed and corrupted looking. These Direct3D guest additions really don't play nice with my Vista guest.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Crossing over to 6.1.x will definitely get failed 3D acceleration on Vista. From the 6.1.0 manual:
– VBoxSVGA: The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Windows 7 or later.
This graphics controller improves performance and 3D support when compared to the
legacy VBoxVGA option.
– VBoxVGA: Use this graphics controller for legacy guest OSes. This is the default
graphics controller for Windows versions before Windows 7 and for Oracle Solaris.
3D acceleration is not supported for this graphics controller
Anyone wanting Vista to be 3D-accelerated so as to get Aero should at most use 6.0.x Guest Additions, or maybe even try going back to 5.2.x GAs. It is perfectly all right to let the Guest Additions version fall behind if necessary.
rytomi

Post by rytomi »

scottgus1 wrote:Crossing over to 6.1.x will definitely get failed 3D acceleration on Vista. From the 6.1.0 manual:
– VBoxSVGA: The default graphics controller for new VMs that use Windows 7 or later.
This graphics controller improves performance and 3D support when compared to the
legacy VBoxVGA option.
– VBoxVGA: Use this graphics controller for legacy guest OSes. This is the default
graphics controller for Windows versions before Windows 7 and for Oracle Solaris.
3D acceleration is not supported for this graphics controller
Anyone wanting Vista to be 3D-accelerated so as to get Aero should at most use 6.0.x Guest Additions, or maybe even try going back to 5.2.x GAs. It is perfectly all right to let the Guest Additions version fall behind if necessary.
The guest additions for Vista (64-bit) haven't worked in ANY 6.x version at all. And I can't seem to find old downloads. VirtualBox happily deletes the files for the additions as soon as you install them.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

Virtualbox.org has an ftp-like site where each file related to a particular release can be found, including the Guest Additions ISO for that version. Blast me if I can't remember where it is... :oops:

However, if you can tolerate a 100-ish-MB download, on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds you can get the whole old version, open it with a zip-file-archive program like 7-zip (Windows & free, Linux has to have an equivalent) and extract the GAs ISO directly.
rytomi

Post by rytomi »

scottgus1 wrote:Virtualbox.org has an ftp-like site where each file related to a particular release can be found, including the Guest Additions ISO for that version. Blast me if I can't remember where it is... :oops:

However, if you can tolerate a 100-ish-MB download, on https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Download_Old_Builds you can get the whole old version, open it with a zip-file-archive program like 7-zip (Windows & free, Linux has to have an equivalent) and extract the GAs ISO directly.
I'm not worried about download size, that should work. But then there's the remaining question... What kind of graphics adapter should be set to use a 5.x guest addition Direct3D support on a 6.1.2 host? If I remember correctly, think I remember the host options changed at 6.0 causing the graphics to stop functioning entirely in Vista, which is why I tried the 6.0 additions to begin with.
scottgus1
Site Moderator

Post by scottgus1 »

I think you need to stay on 6.0.x on the host and use 5.2.x in the Vista guest. I surmise that 6.1.x on the host won't have anything listening to any 3D requests from the guest. Also, only VboxVGA existed during 5.2.x.

So I'd try VboxVGA card & 5.2.x GAs on 6.0.x host.
MuldeR

Post by MuldeR »

VirtualBox Guest Additions v6.1.6 *still* broken on Windows Vista (x64) guest:
vista_broken.png
vista_broken.png (33.91 KiB) Viewed 2740 times
:roll: