[Fixed] Windows 10 EFI guest fails to boot with VBoxSVGA

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
skoehler

[Fixed] Windows 10 EFI guest fails to boot with VBoxSVGA

Post by skoehler »

Hi,

my Windows 10 guest which has been installed with EFI enabled does boot fine with VBoxVGA, but as soon as I switch to VBoxSVGA, it doesn't boot anymore.
The screen remains black and the virtualbox EFI logo never shows up. The harddisk never shows any activity.

The virtual hardware is ICH9 and my virtualbox version is 6.0.2.

Is there some problem with EFI and VBoxSVGA in general? The problem might not be related to the guest OS at all, since the virtualbox logo is shown by the BIOS, right?

Anyhow, this seems like an issue I should report.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Mar 2019, 06:43, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Fixed].
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Windows 10 EFI guest fails to boot with VBoxSVGA

Post by andyp73 »

skoehler wrote:The virtual hardware is ICH9
The ICH9 chipset is very clearly labelled as experimental and for macOS (OS X) guests only. If you created the guest configuration from scratch then the default is set to PIIX3 for a reason!
skoehler wrote:Is there some problem with EFI and VBoxSVGA in general?
The VBoxSVGA device is new (in v6.0.0) and has some known issues. For the time being you are probably best off sticking with the VBoxVGA (no S).

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Solidus

Post by Solidus »

Do this, create your VM and load ISO image then
go to settings:
System->Motherboard, change chipset to ICH9, enable EFI, I/O APIC
Processor - Set to 2

Now go to display:
Max video Memory
For Graphics controller enable 3D Acceleration and 2D Video Acceleration
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Solidus wrote:System->Motherboard, change chipset to ICH9, enable EFI, I/O APIC
No don't. Especially the ICH9 chipset! That bug is already fixed, so please don't try to fix with experimental workarounds what's already addressed.

Marking the thread as [Fixed].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.