Impossible to create a Windows Server 2016 VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Cabal

Impossible to create a Windows Server 2016 VM

Post by Cabal »

Hello,

I'm trying to create a MS Server 2016 VM with VirtualBox 5.0.20.
As Windows Server 2016 doesn't not appear, I use "Others Windows" and I configure to boot on MS Server 2016 ISO file
When the VM starts, there is only the windows logo (the blue one) and nothing happens.

So, I'm trying to create a MS Server 2016 VM with another VirtualBox version (5.2.22 or 6.0.0), that I installed on Cent OS VM, but only 32 bits version are selectable. (Same issue with these two VirtualBox versions)

First case :
VM server (CentOS 5.11) with Virtualbox (5.0.20) : MS server 2016 Installation doesn't not work
Second case
VM Server (CentOS 5.11) / CentOs 7 VM -> Installation of VirtuaBox (5.2.22 or 6.0.0) to create a MS Server 2016 VM

Anyone can help me ?

Thanks in adavance
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Impossible to create a Windows Server 2016 VM

Post by andyp73 »

In VirtualBox 6.0.x there is a specific template for "Windows 2016 64bit". If you can't see any of the 64bit templates when trying to create a new guest then you need to look at FAQ: I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests.

If you are still stuck after reading the FAQ then create a 32bit guest, start it up and let it run until it gives the "No bootable media" error, shut it down and post the VBox.log file (zipped of course) and we may be able to give some specific direction on what needs to be fixed.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Cabal

Post by Cabal »

If I shall make a choice, I prefer create the MS Windows Server2016 with VirtualBox 5.0.20, which manage others VMS

Do you have any advice to boot on Windows Server 2016 ISO ?
I search for yesterday, but I don't found any answer
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Cabal wrote:I prefer create the MS Windows Server2016 with VirtualBox 5.0.20, which manage others VMS
I'm afraid it's not a matter of "preference". It's not supported, period. Since 2017/05 to be exact! Install a VirtualBox version that supports Win2016, otherwise we can't continue working on an known, not-supported scenario.

Same goes for your other VMs. 5.0.20 is ancient, you must upgrade if you want any meaningful help from here...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.