TPM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: TPM

Post by BillG »

mpack wrote:
andreyyshore wrote:VirtualBox's lack of TPM support prevents you from installing the W11 dev build via Windows Update in a VM running W10.
Sez who? Reference please. Your statement seems to directly contradict Microsoft's official "in a VM" requirements already quoted above.
There is always the chance that the statement only refers to vms running under Hyper-V. Microsoft in not noted for considering any one else.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Based on another conversation happening elsewhere, it may also be that the rules are tighter for insider downloads. But who knows? The whole point of insider builds is that they are in flux.
andreyyshore
Guest OSses: Windows 11

Post by andreyyshore »

Figured out a workaround. Here's an Imgur album where I explain everything.

For the sake of convenience:
  • Picture 1. Running two VMs simultaneously on a host that natively supports everything required for Windows 11. Upper left corner is VirtualBox running Windows 10 (didn't bother to set the time correctly). Lower right corner is Hyper-V running the Windows 11 dev build. Included WhyNotWin11 reports for the host and the VMs.
  • Picture 2. I can only pick the Release Preview Channel on my VirtualBox VM.
  • Picture 3. Just in case you thought the window was too small, I maximized it.
  • Picture 4. After a restart of the VirtualBox machine, I have no limitations, but checking for updates brings me back to the "Your PC does not meet the minimum hardware requirements for Windows 11. Your channel options will be limited." state.
  • Picture 5. As long as I haven't checked for updates, I can choose the dev channel just fine.
  • Picture 6. After another restart, I am confirmed to be in the dev channel.
  • Picture 7. My VirtualBox VM does find and download the Windows 11 preview.
Bottom line: don't check for updates before enrolling. As for why I checked for updates in the first place, I didn't want to mix any Windows 10 updates with the Windows 11 upgrade.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

That sounds about right. See this post.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=103245
Bill
kkshethin
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Fedora/Mac/Windows

Post by kkshethin »

I have windows 10 as host and windows 10 as guest. (latest Virtualbox)
My host is capable of windows 11. It fulffils all requirement of UEFI/Secure Boot/TPM 2.0 processor etc.
In guest windows 10, when i go to windows insider builds, it say this PC cannnot run windows 11.
BillG
Volunteer

Post by BillG »

The host specs are pretty unimportant, apart from the CPU. That is about the only thing the installer in the vm knows (or cares) about on your host. Note also that the message is designed for all users, and would probably be true if you were installing on a physical PC. I had it too (because of my processor). This did not prevent me from installing the Windows 11 beta.

Did you read the posts I referred to above? That is more relevant to your case (and where I would have posted this). TPM is not a problem in a vm.

In ant case, some of the restrictions have been eased for the Insider install, and many do not apply if you are installing in a vm. The 4 GB of RAM in the vm is definitely enforced. I haven't checked on the 64 GM disk size yet. I would press on and disregard the message (as others have done and succeeded).
Bill
llr

Post by llr »

Ignore - you have to select window10 64 bit to install the ISO.
It seems to work fine once you get past the install
Merlin1951

Post by Merlin1951 »

mpack wrote:Is it definitely going to be needed for Win11? Because that would exclude Win11 from running on a bunch of older PCs.
As a member of the Windows Insider Program I can state that it is a must in order to run Windows 11. I've already attempted to run the Windows 11 build I've been provided but cannot because VirtualBox doesn't provide any vTPM or vSecure Boot features. Until that happens, even though my hardware supports both protocols, the information is not passed along to VirtualBox so I cannot run the test build in a virtual machine environment.
mb00

Post by mb00 »

TPM or compatible CPUs not required for pre-release versions! Made the update via Windows Update!
Attachments
VB-W11b.png
VB-W11b.png (79.68 KiB) Viewed 11408 times
VikingOy

Post by VikingOy »

andreyyshore wrote: Bottom line: don't check for updates before enrolling. As for why I checked for updates in the first place, I didn't want to mix any Windows 10 updates with the Windows 11 upgrade.
I found an image online which turned out to be 0.65 which I installed in VB 6.1 without any issues.
I checked for updates and it updated just fine to 0.71 with Windows Feature Experience Pack 421.18901.0.3
My host machine does not support TPM 2.0 It's an old Dell Notebook.
That's all.
Paul Nevada

Post by Paul Nevada »

Hello!
Does VB support TPM these days?
multiOS
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: WIN11,10, 7, Linux (various)

Post by multiOS »

No! But it doesn't stop the Windows 11 Insider version from being installed on VirtualBox if that'a your next question.
Paul Nevada

Post by Paul Nevada »

Well, I see. I just want VB to support TPM someday! :)
Thanks for answering.
errr

Post by errr »

Hi, I just want to add a voice in support of a virtual TPM (and also Secure Boot in the EFI). I want to use a VirtualBox VM to test Windows Autopilot for managed operating systems deployment over the Internet, as well as Microsoft Endpoint Configuration Manager (Intune) policies in our organization. Our Intune policies require BitLocker with TPM, and Secure Boot. Without these, my VM will fail compliance checks in Intune, which causes a cascade of additional problems down the line. While yes, I could create an exception for these policies, that's not great because 1.) It makes the endpoint less secure, 2.) Since it's less secure, I'd rather not have to explain to our security folks why these exceptions exist, and 3.) TPM and Secure Boot in EFI are standard technologies that are not new, and I believe should already be in the VirtualBox feature set.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

Gonna call in the dogs and put out the fire on this one. The OP dealt with need for TPM on Windows 10 for a company's security requirements back in 2019. Then it was resurrected in 2021 to discuss Windows 11's apparent requirements for general installation, which are for now not being enforced for the Preview Releases per the evidence above.

Requests that Virtualbox implement a virtual TPM would be better directed to the devs through enhancement requests on the Bugtracker. They'd be the ones to do this, unless a user contributes the code.