Unable to Install VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.2.22 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
periu

Unable to Install VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.2.22 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B)

Post by periu »

Hi,

I am trying to install VirtualBox Guest Additions to Windows Guest and am not having any success.

VirtualBox starts ok and the Windows Guest starts ok and is accessible and usable.
I am trying to leverage the additional features offered by the Guest Additions.

Host Details:
macOS Mojave
Version 10.14.2

Guest Details:
Windows 10 Pro (64 Bit)
Version 1809
OS Build 177763.253

VirtualBox: 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.3)
Corresponding Ext Pack is also installed on the Host.

Logs attached.

P.S. : I am installing the Guest Additions in the Windows Guest. I have looked through the forum and have tried several suggestions that have been offered but have had no luck. Appreciate if I can get some help.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
VirtualBox Log File
(32.83 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
install_drivers.log
Guest Install Driver Log File
(1.28 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Unable to Install VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.2.22 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B

Post by socratis »

I moved your question from the "OSX Hosts" to the "Windows Guests" area, that's where your problem seems to be.

I didn't quite understand what your problem is, but there's something seriously out-of-order with your log! We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
periu

Re: Unable to Install VirtualBox Guest Additions 5.2.22 - RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW (0xE000020B

Post by periu »

Thanks for looking into the issue. See attached the requested logs.
Attachments
20190114 Logs.zip
(36.96 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
periu

Post by periu »

I upgraded to VirtualBox 5.2.26.

Tried installing the Guest Additions and faced the same issue as before.

I was reading the forum and came across the following thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91030, found it interesting that the Guest Addition installed after creating a new VM using the previous Windows 10.vdi file.

I tried the same thing i.e. created a new VM using the same Windows 10.vdi file. Started the VM and the Windows Guest and tried installing the Guest Addition again.
Voila, it installed.

The experts in this forum will be in a better position to explain what allowed Guest Addition to install with a new VM and same Windows 10.vdi file.

Just wanted to share with the rest. This thread can now be marked as resolved.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

periu wrote:explain what allowed Guest Addition to install with a new VM and same Windows 10.vdi file
Only if we did a side-by-side comparison of the two ".vbox" files. Because if you "stick" the same hard drive (VDI) in two different computers and you get different results, the difference is in the "computers", aka the recipe, aka the .vbox file.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.