Virtual Box or OS error

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ian21

Virtual Box or OS error

Post by Ian21 »

I have running windows 7 ulitmate running in Virtual Box when start and running, it fine till I decide to close it down which cool up to now, but if I leave for 2 days then i want to start it up again, starts loading then I get this error
Failed to open a session for the virtual machine Windows 7 Ultimate.

The VM session was aborted.

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: SessionMachine
Interface: ISession {c0447716-ff5a-4795-b57a-ecd5fffa18a4}
close down, start it again and finish loading it goes to the load window (like after a crash or not shut down properly) and windows 7 ulitmate starts up again fine.

OS or Virtual box

Thank you
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jan 2019, 13:01, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Virtual Box or OS error

Post by andyp73 »

We will need to see the VBox.log file from the guest in question. Boot the guest, make sure the problem occurs then shut the guest down (by force if necessary). zip the log file and post it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Ian21

Post by Ian21 »

that's going to be easy, every time I close and start it again it does it, it's just were do i fine the VBox.log to zip and how do I post it to, been into guest (in question) settings show log, do I do it and copy the VBox.log after doing this in a text file zip it up and send it

Thank you
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Ian21 wrote: it's just were do i fine the VBox.log to zip and how do I post it to
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ian21

Post by Ian21 »

Okay I have 2 logs in this attachment ,I hope one of them it's what you are looking for. thank you
Attachments
Windows 7 Ultimate-2019-01-11-07-33-33.zip
(69.04 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Where did you get this "Win7 Ultimate" VM? Did you create it yourself? I assume not, since I see that the VM is trying to mess with the CPUID, presumably in order to defeat license checks.

Did this VM ever work in VirtualBox on your host?
Ian21

Post by Ian21 »

Where did you get this "Win7 Ultimate" VM?
if you mean Win7 Ultimate.iso downloaded from a link I got from a key purchase from ebay
Did you create it
I went through add a iso so yes I suppose if that is what you a are taking about, if not no
to mess with the CPUID, presumably in order to defeat license checks.
Dont now what this mean but I suppose it is the Win7 Ultimate operating system not virtual box
Did this VM ever work in VirtualBox on your host?
I have about 8 others on virtual box but not the same problem all 7 working well separately

thank you
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

One thing you could try is reducing the RAM allocation. You have 4.5GB available, the VM is configured to use 4GB. That doesn't leave much elbow room. I would reduce that to 2GB, or 3GB if you must.

OTOH, 27MB is not enough graphics RAM. I would increase to 128MB.

You have a dual core host. You can't easily afford to assign 2 cores to the VM, but 1 will guarantee poor performance.

I notice that the guest uses a 32bit template. Is that correct? You installed a 32bit "Ultimate" OS? In that case it makes the decision to assign 4GB even more questionable.

I notice that the hard disk is a VHD (why?), located outside the VM folder (why?). Instead it's on drive E. This is what made me believe that you didn't install the guest yourself from an ISO. If you had then the format is most likely VDI and it'd be inside the VM folder. At best we are missing part of the story. Also what is drive E? If that's a USB portable drive - most are unsuitable for running VMs. Also why did you move the VHD outside the VM folder? If you don't like the space used then better to move the entire VM folder. Howto: Move a VM.
Ian21

Post by Ian21 »

mpack wrote:One thing you could try is reducing the RAM allocation. You have 4.5GB available, the VM is configured to use 4GB. That doesn't leave much elbow room. I would reduce that to 2GB, or 3GB if you must.
OTOH, 27MB is not enough graphics RAM. I would increase to 128MB.
In graphics I have adjusted it to 128 MB
mpack wrote:You have a dual core host. You can't easily afford to assign 2 cores to the VM, but 1 will guarantee poor performance.
Okay, I am a bit unsure were to do this in setting for windows 7 ultimate must be there same were
mpack wrote:I notice that the guest uses a 32bit template. Is that correct? You installed a 32bit "Ultimate" OS? In that case it makes the decision to assign 4GB even more questionable.
Again unsure were to do this probably just in front of me but don't see it
mpack wrote:I notice that the hard disk is a VHD (why?)
well I am not good at setting things up or understand how to set this up as you probably can tell,but I watch youtube how to set up virtual box and I sure they put me on to that although I could be wrong
mpack wrote:located outside the VM folder (why?)
save space on the c drive but as you just pointed out usb letter do change and that would make a mess of things, thank you
mpack wrote:Instead it's on drive E
yes its a external drive
mpack wrote:This is what made me believe that you didn't install the guest yourself from an ISO.
I thought I did but maybe I didn't
mpack wrote:If you had then the format is most likely
I didn't do any formatting maybe I got the wrong about the formatting part though
mpack wrote:VDI and it'd be inside the VM folder. At best we are missing part of the story.
I probably haven't given you the full story but I done the best as I can to pass info on
mpack wrote:Also what is drive E? If that's a USB portable drive
as above yes it is a usb portable drive
mpack wrote:most are unsuitable for running VMs. Also why did you move the VHD outside the VM folder?
If you don't like the space used then better to move the entire VM folder.
unsure were to do this
Okay I know now I have to do same thing about this either clone or move, and have had a look at Howto: Move a VM

tried to under stand it so i had a go at clone used a temp one
went to settings on temp one to clone ""unsure what to do here"" but I ticked (both keep disk name and keep hardware uuids)
to next full clone with dot and press clone and it did a clone

so before location was in e:\virual Drive now in c:\users\ian\virtualbox vms is this correct or haven't I done this right either. so I remove windows 7 ulitmate 1 in E Drive, and rename the discription on the clone 1 to just windows 7 ulitmate with c:\users\ian\virtualbox vms

Thank you