Windows Update crashes in dual monitor configuration

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
PhilippK

Windows Update crashes in dual monitor configuration

Post by PhilippK »

Hello,

I'm using VirtualBox with several guests in a dual monitor configuration:
Host System: Win 10 1809 Pro 64 bit
Virtual Box 6.0
Graphic adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTC 960
I started having problems with Windows Update on a guest system running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit after updating to Virtual Box 6.0 and Win 10 1809 (Virtual Box 5.2 had issues in dual screen configuration and Win 1809 - see Topic #89686). Windows Update failed to search for updates and there are several entries in the event log that.

I narrowed this down within the last days:

First guest
Windows 10 1809 Pro 64 bit - Dual Monitor Configuration - VBoxVGA (historic reasons), 2D/3D acceleration is activated -> Windows Update crashes (System Log: Service Control Manager, Event ID 7031)
Disabling second monitor -> Windows Update works
Re-Enabling second monitor -> Windows Update crashes again

Second guest
Windows 10 1809 Pro 64 bit - Single Monitor Configuration - VBoxVGA (historic reasons), 2D/3D acceleration is activated -> Windows Update works
Enabling second monitor -> Windows Update crashes

I also tried to set up a new VM with VBoxSVGA, but after installing the guest additions, the system starts to be very unresponsive and has graphic issues. The same behavior occurs after switching one of the existing VMs to VBoxSVGA. But at the moment it looks like that in SVGA-Configuration Windows Update doesn't work either.

Has anyone the same issues and - much better - a solution for me :-)

Philipp
Last edited by socratis on 5. Jan 2019, 12:24, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
Portsmouth Dude

Re: Windows Update crashes in dual monitor configuration

Post by Portsmouth Dude »

Having the exact same issue. I've tried multiple configurations of the VM, with and without a dual monitor, with and without 2d and 3d acceleration enabled. I've tried using the 6.0 Beta3 guest additions and the 6.0 RC1 guest additions, all to no avail. Windows works just fine in single monitor modeand updates normally. As soon as I am in dual monitor model, Windows Update fails to work. I'm getting multiple error notifications in the windows system log. I do notice that in the windows security log, there are errors reporting that the hash of a virtualbox file isn't valid .. the 3d display driver.

I have full functionality in dual screen mode (2@ 1920x1080), but windows 10 is broken and won't update. I've tried 1809 out of the box, and 1803. Both fail in dual monitor mode. I've tried this in virtualbox 6 and in 5.22.

I'm new to this forum, so apologies if I've missed something. I didn't want to create a new bug ticket, I wanted to start here, as I can't possibly be the only person using Windows 10 Pro 1809 with virtualbox 6 and dual monitors. Is anyone else having these issues?

Host: Ubuntu Xenial (Lubuntu), 16GB ram
Guest: Windows 10 Pro (1803 or 1809)

Happy to post any additional information, just not sure where to start. I've searched the web for about 6 days now trying to find a solution. Nothing seems to work.

Thanks in advance.