Microsoft Agent voice not working (#18275)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
evk30850

Microsoft Agent voice not working (#18275)

Post by evk30850 »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18275: Microsoft Agent voice not working
So I downloaded BonziBUDDY on a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 vm, and the voice doesn't work, and when it goes to say something, the speech bubble freezes and it is stuck. Does anyone know a fix for this?
Last edited by socratis on 4. Jan 2019, 17:40, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Microsoft Agent voice not working (#18275)

Post by socratis »

evk30850 wrote:So I downloaded BonziBUDDY
Where can we get this? Is the same https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BonziBuddy that's referred to as "Adware" and "Spyware" in Wikipedia?

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
evk30850

Post by evk30850 »

Yes that is the BonziBuddy I am talking about. Also I will try getting a .log soon because I am out right now
EDIT: Bonzi buddy can be found at bonzi(dot)link
evk30850

Post by evk30850 »

Here is the .log
Attachments
VBox.zip
(25.45 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
evk30850

Post by evk30850 »

bump
Ryguy

Post by Ryguy »

It didn't work for me either; is there something I have to disable or do I have to downgrade VirtualBox?
Ryguy

Re: Microsoft Agent voice not working

Post by Ryguy »

As evk30850 said before, when you use Microsoft Agent on an emulated Windows operating system, sometimes the voice doesn't work, and when it goes to say something, the speech bubble freezes and it is stuck. Do I have to put in more memory on the emulator or use a different one? What am I missing?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Ryguy
I'd like an explanation on how a reply of yours to this Windows Guests thread, became a stand-alone, new thread in the Windows Hosts area.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ryguy

Post by Ryguy »

Sorry, but I thought "bump" meant the discussion was over!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

"bump" means to wake up the thread, hoping that someone will notice the new message... ;)
Ryguy

Post by Ryguy »

Thanks! Anyway, back to the topic. What should I do? Should I tweak my emulator/virtual machine, or get a different one?
Ryguy

Post by Ryguy »

Or has the bug been fixed already?
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

FWIW, I had a glitch with a PC where sound from certain kinds of MP3s would not play but all other sounds would play. I ran the sound troubleshooter and it said the default sound device was not set. On setting that default, the unexpectedly-quite MP3's got loud again.

In other words, this may be a configuration problem in your guest OS, not the Virtualbox simulated hardware. If your guest makes noise normally and things like Media Player & WAVs & MP3's & video make noise, then Virtualbox is working and you'll have to hunt elsewhere to get a particular program to work.

Note that you should doublecheck that your guest is using the correct virtual sound hardware that the New Guest Template Wizard would set up for your particular guest OS.
Ryguy

Post by Ryguy »

I think I figured it out already... Every time sapisvr.exe activates, anything with audio in it stops responding! Why is that???
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

What is sapisvr.exe? I don't believe it's a Virtualbox file*. Find out where it comes from & google it, and maybe a few solutions will appear?

*Edit: Definitely not a Virtualbox file, just scanned the install folder and the Guest Additions, and it's not there.