Graphic Bug Glitches (#18276)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Undead

Graphic Bug Glitches (#18276)

Post by Undead »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18276: Graphic glitches
hello!

When i downloaded the version 6.0.0 (first time install on this computer on all of versions of windows that i installed xp-10)i installed the virtualbox guest additions as well and when i am moving the windows programs i see graphic glitches and problems during moving the window on host and i am using cpu virtualaziation too.. has anyone and kind of that problem? can you report similar issues as soon as possible?

my system specs

AMD A8-9600
Kingston 4gb ram ddr4 2666 mhz
ASRock A320M Pro4
Coolermaster masterwattlite 500w 80+
Intergrated GPU AMD Radeon R7
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Graphic Bug Glitches

Post by socratis »

Undead wrote:i see graphic glitches ... has anyone and kind of that problem?
Your description is as generic as it can be. We can't possibly know what you're referring to. Care to elaborate?
Undead wrote:can you report similar issues as soon as possible?
Also, can you explain what that sentence means?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Undead

Re: Graphic Bug Glitches (#18276)

Post by Undead »

Σωκρατη καλησπερα (σου γραφω ελληνικα για να συνενοηθουμε καλυτερα) εγω στον υπολογιστη μου ειχα την εκδοση 5.2.22 ειχα κανονικα τα virtual machines μου αλλα επειδη δεν ειχα πολυ χωρο στον ssd απεγκατεστησα την εφαρμογη και διεγραψα τα virtual machines αλλα μετα απο δυο μερες που ηθελα να δω κατι στα windows XP και στα vista τα εκανα ολα κανονικα και εβαλα το guest additions στα virual machines κανονικα ολα καλα ολα ωραια μετα απο την επανεκκινηση της εγκαταστασης αυτης της εφαρμογης για τους drivers στο vm παρατηρω μια επιβρανδυση στις ταχυτητες της εικονικης μηχανης (xp-vista) και οταν μετακινω ενα παραθυρο π.χ task manager file explorer αυτη η μετακινηση με το ποντικι δεν ειναι ομαλη και κολλανε τα γραφικα ενω ολα φαινονται να δουλευουν σωστα και το virtualization ανοιχτο και την video memory στα 128 mb max με 3d 2d ενεργοποιημενο ενω στην προηγουμενη εκδοση εκδοση 5.2.22 ηταν ολα κομπλε

[ModEdit by socratis; translated text of the original follows]
Socratis, good evening (I'm writing in Greek so that we can communicate better). I had in my PC version 5.2.22, I had my VMs, but because I didn't have enough space on my SSD, I uninstalled the app and deleted the VMs. But after two days that I wanted to see something in WinXP and Vista, I did everything again and I installed the Guest Additions in the Virtual Machines. Everything was OK. After a reboot of the VM I noticed a slow down of the VM (XP-Vista) and when I move a window e.g. Task Manager, File Explorer, that movement with the mouse is not smooth and the graphics are "sticky", while everything seems to work OK. The virtualization is open, the VRAM is at 128 MB maxed, with 3D/2D activated. Everything in the previous version 5.2.22 was OK.
Nickname2

Post by Nickname2 »

I don't understand greek, but I have a graphics problem as well which might relate to this one.

I installed da fresh Windows 10 guest on a Dell 7450 running Linux Mint 19.0. This worked fine until I installed the guest extension 6.0. After that the guest display on updated anymore, although the small one in the VirtualBoxManager application is. So directly after W10 loads the graphic driver the main windows shows "glitches", while the small preview display shows the login screen from W10.

However, when I drag the host window with the guest display on title title bar an move it a tiny little bit, I the guest display is update once but then freezes again. I managed to deactivate VirtualBox Graphics Adapter WDDM on the guest driver management which solves the problem. (It is make a mouse click in the guest, move the window to get updated display, next mouse click, move window again, etc...)

For me is seems very much that the WDDM driver somehow disconnects to the virtual display in some way. As said, without WDDM everything works fine, only no features with the generic windows drivers like seamless mode or dynamic resolution.

The problem is unaffected from 2D or 3D acceleration. There is no suspicious entry in the log.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Undead, @Nickname2

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run, where the problem occurs:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Nickname2

Post by Nickname2 »

@Socratis:

See log in attachment.
Attachments
VirtBox.zip
(31.03 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:00.775751 VMSVGA3dEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:00.775752 VMSVGAEnabled   <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
@Nickname2
  • Shut down the VM.
  • Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen.
  • Change the Graphics controller from "VBoxSVGA" to "VBoxVGA".
  • Enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
  • Increase the VRAM to the max 256 MB.
  • Start the VM...
Nickname2

Post by Nickname2 »

Thanks, that solved the problem.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thanks @Nickname2 for confirming.
I'll wait for 'Undead' to post the log and/or confirm that the workaround works, before closing the thread and updating the ticket...
michalk.kvasnicka

Post by michalk.kvasnicka »

socratis wrote:
00:00:00.775751 VMSVGA3dEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:00.775752 VMSVGAEnabled   <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
@Nickname2
  • Shut down the VM.
  • Go to the VM Settings » Display » Screen.
  • Change the Graphics controller from "VBoxSVGA" to "VBoxVGA".
  • Enable 2D and 3D acceleration.
  • Increase the VRAM to the max 256 MB.
  • Start the VM...
Does not solve this problem at all (virtualbox 6.0.4)??!!
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Then, by definition your problem is different from the one discussed here, and your post is off topic.