USB 3.0 support in XP guests

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ranguno
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows Xp Home

USB 3.0 support in XP guests

Post by Ranguno »

Hello, I have written this post for thread viewtopic.php?f=28&t=74575 and found later, that it's locked. So this post may be moved (or deleted) by a moderator.

Report on my USB 3.0 driver installation inside Windows Xp from 30 Dec 2018

System data

Host: Windows 8.1
Guest: Windows Xp Home (=32 Bit)
Virtual Box: 6.0.0

Procedure
  1. Download file Chipset_Driver_GVT5M_WN_3.0.23.0_A00.EXE from https://www.dell.com/support/home/en/en ... erid=gvt5m
  2. Select USB-3.0-Controller (xHCI) in your VM USB configuration
  3. Start Guest Windows Xp
  4. Run the downloaded file and choose unzipping
  5. Klick the button to open the folder with the unzipped files (...\Dell\drivers\Chipset_Driver_GVT5M_WN_3.0.23.0_A00)
  6. Run RENESAS-USB3-Host-Driver-30230-setup.exe to install the driver
  7. Shut down the Guest
  8. Open a DOS box and insert
    "<YourDriveLetter>:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata NameOfVM VBoxInternal/Devices/usb-xhci/0/Config/ChipType uPD720201

If the VM name contains blanks, use quotation-marks ("Name of VM"). Type Enter. Nothing seems to happen (no news is good news).

Command line to remove the extra data is the same as the one to set it, except the final part uPD720201, which must be omitted.
  9. Start the Guest and plug in a USB device. If necessary, visit the VM configuration and add a USB device filter.
Performance improvement

Speed gain over USB controllers EHCI / OHCI is remarkable. My synchronizing Guest backup to a USB 2.0 stick now takes 5 instead of 25 minutes (2 ¾ minutes to a USB 3.0 stick).
Attachments
Screenshot download site 31 Dec 2018.png
Screenshot download site 31 Dec 2018.png (92.74 KiB) Viewed 42899 times
Last edited by socratis on 2. Jan 2019, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed formatting.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB 3.0 support in XP guests

Post by socratis »

Hey Ranguno, happy New Year!

What is it that your post is doing? Just letting us know that it worked successfully? Because the procedure it pretty much the standard one, am I missing something?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Ranguno
Guest OSses: Windows Xp Home

Post by Ranguno »

Hi socratis, I've posted for these reasons:
  • linking to a working driver
  • enable an easy and fast install by following the steps
  • show the benefit
  • publish the checksums of the driver in case it's no more available at the linked site, but somewhere else
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Got it, thanks...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MarathonIT

Post by MarathonIT »

Just created an account in this forum to thank you for this - it worked perfectly.

There's an older post that was almost identical here: (Oops, I can't put the link in, but the last part of it is 74575)

The content isn't incorrect, but the driver download wasn't as specific. As a result, I chose a driver that didn't work.

No matter, it's now working. However, the moderator might want to link this page on the older one, as it was very helpful.

Thanks to all - it's been a painful day, getting the "DISK2VHD" XP Guest working, but it's all good now...
Vaux_2

Post by Vaux_2 »

Worked for me too, thanks. :)

One thing to note, the VM machine name in inverted commas in the commandline is case sensitive.
"<YourDriveLetter>:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" setextradata "[NameOfVM]" VBoxInternal/Devices/usb-xhci/0/Config/ChipType uPD720201
_invisible_

Post by _invisible_ »

Created the account to say thank you.

It also works for me on VirtualBox 6.1 and with windows xp x86.

Thank you again.
zizlog

Post by zizlog »

Also, finally created an account to thank you as well. :-)
Works like a charm in Virtual Box 6.1.30 on a MacOS 11.6.x host system with WinXP guest OS.

Next step for me is to figure out why the write transfer rate is "stuck" at 21.8MB/s instead of close to 70MB/s for the Transcend CF170, 64GB as per spec sheet.
It might just be the nature of the driver (written back 2012) or,

"A factor affecting the speed of USB storage devices (more evident with USB 3.0 devices, but also noticeable with USB 2.0 ones) is that the USB Mass Storage Bulk-Only Transfer (BOT) protocol drivers are generally slower than the USB Attached SCSI protocol (UAS[P]) drivers." (source Wikipedia on USB 3.0)
Lino_C_G

Post by Lino_C_G »

Hello:

I've registered on the forum just to say " T h a n k Y o u "

Your instructions helped me to activate the Usb 3.0 on my guests, after a lot of time to dealing with problems with my systems and usb's incompatibilities

Many thanks for Sharing

Regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm going to lock this old topic.

I'll also draw your attention to our tutorial on Getting USB3 to work in XP Guests, written by the VBox dev who implemented the Renesas chipset emulation.