[Resolved] Games in WinXP guests

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Slimey

[Resolved] Games in WinXP guests

Post by Slimey »

Howdy, not experienced in forum stuff but here we go. I've been trying to stream lego island 1 and this has lead to so many problems that the only feasible way I can do it is by using a virtual machine. After I got everything set up, I was having issues with the sound in the game. Sound works fine up to the main menu but when I start the game all sound in the virtual machine breaks. There's a constant low hum going but no other sound. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this sort of issue and could help me out. I know my case is a bit specific but if anyone has any ideas I'll be glad to take them! thanks!
Last edited by socratis on 23. Dec 2018, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Games in WinXP guests

Post by socratis »

Don't get your hopes too high. Games are notorious for requiring a lot of the hardware and they're not working really well in a VM, *if* they work at all...

We need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe problem / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Slimey

Post by Slimey »

Here you go, followed your instructions
Attachments
Windows xp 2-2018-12-23-09-52-35.zip
(24.4 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:01.031672 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001200000 (18 874 368, 18 MB)
00:00:01.031668 3DEnabled <integer> = 0x0000000000000000 (0)
00:00:01.805676 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
Your 2D/3D acceleration is not enabled. Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display. You'll also notice that the max VRAM will jump from a max value of 128 to 256 MB after that; max the VRAM as well. Then re-install the Guest Additions (GAs) in the guest. See if that improves the situation...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Slimey

Post by Slimey »

Alright sweet! that seemed to get the sound to somewhat work, it glitches out every once in a while but it's still something. My only other question is how I can make the virtualbox louder, for some reason the audio is really quiet and I can't find a way to make it louder, thank you so much for your help so far :)
(edit) Nevermind I'm an idiot and I figured it out, thanks
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].