avg install causes issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mczakk

avg install causes issue

Post by mczakk »

hi.
I'm running windows 7 pro as a guest on ubuntu 14.04 through virtualbox 5.22
after having uninstalled avg free because it would not update i try to install a fresh download of avg.
i then get a popup with the following message:
A critical error has occurred while running the virtual machine and the machine execution has been stopped.
For help, please see the Community section on https://www.virtualbox.org or your support contract. Please provide the contents of the log file VBox.log and the image file VBox.png, which you can find in the /home/matt/VirtualBox VMs/bert/Logs directory, as well as a description of what you were doing when this error happened. Note that you can also access the above files by selecting Show Log from the Machine menu of the main VirtualBox window.
Press OK if you want to power off the machine or press Ignore if you want to leave it as is for debugging. Please note that debugging requires special knowledge and tools, so it is recommended to press OK now.
i have the files VBox.log and VBox.png as the message requests but i cant attach them to this post as they are too big.
the only way to start windows now is to do a system restore and uninstall avg

do i take it that avg is no longer compatible with virtual box?

edited to add file:
VBox.log.tar.gz
(20.21 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
having successfully removed avg, I downloaded Avast antivirus and recieved the same message on install
vbox.log file:
VBox2.log.tar.gz
(101.41 KiB) Downloaded 12 times
im guessin that there is a fundamental problem installing aantivirus to my vm?
Last edited by socratis on 21. Dec 2018, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: avg install causes issue

Post by andyp73 »

The cause of your guru meditation is most likely this:
VBox.log wrote:
00:00:00.821730 HM: HMR3Init: Falling back to raw-mode: VT-x is not available
Unfortunately, your Intel Pentium Processor B960 doesn't include VT-x support (it is an age thing) and so you are going to struggle to run recent versions of VirtualBox which have had ever growing dependencies on it.

With the guest shutdown you could try running the following:
VBoxManage modifyvm <uuid|vmname> --hwvirtex off
If that doesn't work then you may need to head back to 5.1.x or 5.0.x versions of VirtualBox until you find one that works.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.