Attaching CD/DVD Error When Disk is Burnt 'Like a USB Flash Drive'

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
AlexanderW25

Attaching CD/DVD Error When Disk is Burnt 'Like a USB Flash Drive'

Post by AlexanderW25 »

Hi all,

I am currently running VirtualBox 8.2.22 and I have a batch file that attaches a CD/DVD to a virtual machine. When the CD/DVD to be attached to the VM is burnt through Windows and 'With A CD/DVD Player' is selected as how the disk will be used I can attach and read the disk fine on the VM. However, when the disk is burnt and 'Like a USB Flash Drive' is selected as how the disk will be used it attaches to the VM but I cannot read the contents and get the error message "The Disk Structure Is Corrupted and Unreadable".

Does anyone know why this is? Both types of disks are readable from the host.
Thanks!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Attaching CD/DVD Error When Disk is Burnt 'Like a USB Flash Drive'

Post by socratis »

AlexanderW25 wrote:VirtualBox 8.2.22
You're way ahead of your time! Us commoners have only 5.2.22!
(I know it's a typo, just couldn't resist :) )
AlexanderW25 wrote:and I have a batch file that attaches a CD/DVD to a virtual machine
Any chance of us seeing the batch file?
AlexanderW25 wrote:is burnt through Windows and 'With A CD/DVD Player' is selected as how the disk will be used
Can you explain that part a little bit better? Where do you select that option?
AlexanderW25 wrote:when the disk is burnt and 'Like a USB Flash Drive' is selected
Same question actually...
AlexanderW25 wrote:Both types of disks are readable from the host.
What kind of images are these? Any chance that you can produce a couple of them, one of each kind? The smaller the better it would be to share and download.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

It's probably an UDF (DVD-RW/-RAM) image, not an ISO9660 CD-ROM image.
AlexanderW25

Post by AlexanderW25 »

This is the line from the batch that attaches the disk to the VM:

Code: Select all

"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage.exe" storageattach <VM-NAME> --storagectl IDE --port 1 --device 0 --type dvddrive --medium host:<UUID of Host DVD Drive>
When we burn a disk using Windows there is the option of how the disk will be used. Screenshot below. When I choose 'With A CD/DVD Player' the disk is readable in the host and VM but when I choose 'Like a USB Flash Drive' the disk is only readable in the host and not readable in the VM.
How Will The Disk Be Used
How Will The Disk Be Used
BurnADisk.png (82.37 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
The image type on the disk burnt 'Like a USB Flash Drive' appears to be UDF and uses Live File System while 'With A CD/DVD Player' uses Mastered Disc Format.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

"Like a USB flash drive" will mean multisession, which I believe is not supported by VirtualBox. You must burn and complete a single ISO 9660 image, though it can use filesystem extensions such as Joliet.

Incidentally, the simulated CD drive in a VirtualBox VM is not a CD burner, your screenshot seems to be showing CD write options.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure if you could mount the "Like a USB flash drive" creation of yours as a standard disk, and not as a DVD. Don't have a Win host readily available to test it...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I remember the quoted dialog from XP days, though IMHO nobody in their right mind used Windows built in CD burning feature. You used the likes of ImgBurn instead. Either way I doubt any of it will work in a VirtualBox VM, even in passthrough mode. The multisession option certainly won't work.