Huge Display on VM

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Stevex033

Huge Display on VM

Post by Stevex033 »

So ive been reading around the forums trying to fix my display problem. It doesnt go any bigger than 1600x1200. Ive tried inserting the guestadditions and it doesnt do anything. This is my first time trying to make a VM and i've already had about 5 headaches so far. Also I dunno if I have done something wrong but the vm is very laggy slow mouse movement long wait periods for chrome and other apps to open. If anyone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Huge Display on VM

Post by socratis »

Stevex033 wrote:Ive tried inserting the guestadditions and it doesnt do anything.
Just inserting a CD in your computer won't do anything, you actually have to install the Guest Additions.

Unfortunatelly you didn't tell us what's your host, your guest, your VirtualBox version, so I can't give you more specific information. You should read ch. 4.2. Installing and Maintaining Guest Additions for details.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stevex033

Post by Stevex033 »

finally figured out the Guest Additions and got them running on the VM. VM manger is 5.2.22 its running windows 10 32bit from what i understood it had to be 32 bit. Basically the only reason why I am trying to run a VM is for a online poker bot to run multiple tables because I only have one monitor on my host pc which can only run about 2 tables because with the bot I cant resize the tables.

My host pc is a custom build. I7-7700K 16gb ram 1tbssd 1tbhdd GTX 1070.

My main goal which from what I was reading is that I can run an impossible screen resolution on the VM that I cant obtain with only one monitor on my host pc.

The vm is running much smoother since getting the guest additions installed not laggy and no mouse trail and not waiting for chrome and discord and card rooms to open. They basically run how they do on my host pc now.

I talked to a friend and he gave me a line of code to add to the vm to try to get the resolution im trying to get but I have no idea where to add this command line at he told me to just type it in CMD but thats not working. Here is the line
If you are using Virtual Box instead of VMWare (not for stealth-mode but for general reasons), you
can notice that it doesn’t allow you to set virtual screen resolution higher than 1600x1200. Here is a
workaround:
Open command prompt (Start > Run > CMD ) change directory to your Virtual Box installation Directory
(usually C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox), but you may have another path.
Run this command from the command prompt:
"VBoxManage setextradata global GUI/MaxGuestResolution any" (without the quote marks)
If someone can help me out that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

also dunno if this matters but the way described in the manual to install guest addons, I did it by going to file explorer. Then went to This PC and it says CD DRIVE D: VirtualBOX Guest Additions and I just ran the exe in there.
Last edited by socratis on 9. Dec 2018, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

So, let me get this straight... You want your VM to have a resolution greater than what your host is having? And you're going to be navigating in the VM using the scrollbars? Is that my correct understanding?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Stevex033

Post by Stevex033 »

Ya if thats what I'm going to have to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Well, you might not be able to do it. VirtualBox gets its information from the host, and if your host doesn't have a greater than 1600x1200 resolution, no such resolution can be offered. However, there is a command you can try. But first I'm going to need two things; a VBox.log and the recipe of the VM.

VBox.log:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
VM recipe, the .vbox file:
  1. Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever".
  2. ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.
Stevex033

Post by Stevex033 »

here are the two things you requested.
Attachments
12.10.18.zip
log file
(27.25 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
Warbox.zip
vbox
(1.86 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

<Display VRAMSize="128" monitorCount="2"/>
Why do you have 2 monitors in your configuration? I thought that you wanted one only, no? Don't make things more complicated than they need to be...

I want you to shutdown the VM and open a Command Prompt window. Then enter the following commands:
  • 
    cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/AutoresizeGuest" false
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastGuestSizeHint1"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition1"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastNormalWindowPosition2"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastScaleWindowPosition"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastScaleWindowPosition1"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/LastScaleWindowPosition2"
    VirtualBox setextradata "Warbox" "GUI/ScaleFactor"
    VBoxManage setextradata "Warbox" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"

That's to clear all the settings that you've set by enabling the 2nd monitor and "moving" things around. Also, I specifically disable the auto-resize guest feature, and set a custom resolution of 1920x1080, 32-bit depth.

Then I want you to go in the VM Settings » Display and enable 2D/3D acceleration, increase the VRAM to 256 MB and lower the monitor count to 1.

Fire up the VM and go to its Control Panel » Display. Do you see the custom resolution? Change your VM to that. Expect the scrollbars to show.

Do not manually resize the VM window after that.
Stevex033

Post by Stevex033 »

I set the monitor count to 1. Enabled 2D/3D acceleration and set the vram to 256.

I tried running the commands through the host CMD and I get the following error for all the commands

C:\Users\steve>VBoxManage setextradata "Warbox" "CustomVideoMode1" "1920x1080x32"
'VBoxManage' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Are you sure you run all the commands in the order that I gave you? In the exact order that I gave you? Because that's what you got to do; if you don't know better, you follow the instructions, not whatever you think you should run...

Try again.

You are in "C:\Users\steve>". You shouldn't be there if you followed the instructions. You should be in "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox>".
MiloTheDev
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: None that work at the moment

Post by MiloTheDev »

And of course, The DUMB LOGS AGAIN
Last edited by socratis on 31. Dec 2018, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
From, MiloTheDev.
MiloTheDev
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: None that work at the moment

Post by MiloTheDev »

Well, What about Linux Hosts, AND/OR a res of 1366x768?? (Laptop Size)
Last edited by socratis on 31. Dec 2018, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
From, MiloTheDev.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

MiloTheDev wrote:What about Linux Hosts,
You then open a new thread (don't hijack another user's thread), and you provide the "dumb logs", or the thread has no chance of being addressed.

I hope that this is clear enough, that only through the "dumb logs" we can find out where the "dumb" is...