USB issue Virtualbox onLinux -again I know.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: USB issue Virtualbox onLinux -again I know.

Post by socratis »

zimbodel wrote:I used apt to install the available virtualbox
If you didn't add the Oracle repositories, then you installed the forked version. You should install the official version from the Linux Downloads section of VirtualBox (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads).
zimbodel wrote:Does virtualbox work at all on Linux ?
Of course it does! That's what most of the developers are using to begin with.
zimbodel wrote:I tried three distributions on 3 machines now. Virtualbox fail on all of them.
I know, but I don't know why it's not working for you, it seems that you have bad karma for some reason ;)
zimbodel wrote:At this point I cant see that I do something obvious wrong and done the dilligence on my side.
Of course, sure. But truth be told, you chose some weird distro at the beginning. Then when I tried to replicate your setup and I downloaded the KXStudio, you told me to forget it.

Next something went wrong with the architecture.

And now this. Try with the official VirtualBox version and let's see what happens.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
zimbodel

Post by zimbodel »

Ok thanks all for trying to answer.
I just give up on using USB with virtualbox, it ping pongs on and off and is rickety, appears and disappears at will.
I will try a different virtualmachine or emulator for those programs, no sweat, but I think oracle should either fix or remove the USB section of virtualbox. It is a bit of a timewaster.

Thanks, the thread is now closed from my side due to lack of answers.
Thanks all who triedto help.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

zimbodel wrote:but I think oracle should either fix or remove the USB section of virtualbox. It is a bit of a timewaster.
No it's not, I think you got it wrong. I don't think I've ever seen such a persistent failure before. Either you're not doing something according to the instructions, or I don't know what else to assume. And believe me, we've solved 99.99% of the problems.

Marking as [WorksForMe].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.