Intermittent USB i/f loss for Guest

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
BavariaR

Intermittent USB i/f loss for Guest

Post by BavariaR »

Running Version 5.2.22 r126460 (Qt5.6.2) on both Win 10 host and Win 10 guest.

I ran into a strange problem today. While using the VB Guest system, streaming some videos through internet explorer I suddenly experience full outage of any USB connectivity. The VPN goes down because the USB Wifi adapter is gone, no keyboard or mouse input anymore (connected through USB) but not explicit pass through to VM, audio is switching to the inbuild speaker as UBS dongle for Bluetooth 4.1 is gone as well (connection to headset lost)..

few seconds later most of the USB devices are recognized again, sometimes the keyboard does not come back as it is connected via USB to Tunderbolt Dockingstation via normal service of VirtualBox

to me it appears like if centrally all the USB devices which are checked in USB Filter settings would disapear for short moment of time.

I did not install or update any drivers explicitly, but had some older Windows updates pushed to my W10 guest system the day before KB4461xx, KB44165xx, KB44167xx

Any clue what is going wrong? Is my Problem on the Guest system or inside the VirtualBox service responsible for USB filtering?

I had the impression that USB problem or freezes more often happend while I was watching video streams inside IE
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Intermittent USB i/f loss for Guest

Post by socratis »

BavariaR wrote:as it is connected via USB to Tunderbolt Dockingstation
That might be your problem. Sometimes I even lose my mouse on my *host* and I need to unplug/wait/replug everything. No VirtualBox is involved at the moment.

If you want more help, attach a ZIPPED VBox.log from an instance where this has happened.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BavariaR

Post by BavariaR »

Here you go with the Log File of where this happened
Attachments
VBoxSVC.log.1.zip
(2.14 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I was actually looking for the VBox.log, not the VBoxSVC.log. If you have the former from the same session, please ZIP it and attach it as well. You can find the log in the VM folder.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BavariaR

Post by BavariaR »

Sorry my bad, here you go
Attachments
VBox.log.1.zip
(31.45 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Things start just fine:
00:00:06.315489 VUSB: Attached '000000001abdc6b0[proxy 046d:0821]' to port 2 on RootHub#1 (HighSpeed)
00:00:06.417087 VUSB: Attached '0000000019e0ef40[proxy 0b05:184c]' to port 3 on RootHub#1 (HighSpeed)
00:00:06.529666 VUSB: Attached '00000000041b1230[proxy 0b0e:a345]' to port 4 on RootHub#1 (FullSpeed)
And then, at 2:49 the USB hits the fan:
02:49:46.647554 xHCI: USB Suspended
02:49:46.647947 xHCI: Hardware reset
02:49:47.025531 VUSB: HidMouse: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
02:49:47.025562 VUSB: 000000001abdc6b0[proxy 046d:0821]: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
02:49:47.025572 VUSB: 0000000019e0ef40[proxy 0b05:184c]: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
02:49:47.025580 VUSB: 00000000041b1230[proxy 0b0e:a345]: reset request is ignored, the device is already resetting!
I honestly have no clue why it would reset just out of the blue. I tend to suspect your hardware setup as I said, but that's a level of debugging that I'm unable to help you with.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

My experience of USB wifis is that they do this, it isn't restricted to VMs. I seem to experience it most predictably when I stress my PC, e.g. video encoding while copying next recording from a DVD-R while browsing these pages using a USB wifi adaptor. Suddenly the USB drivers will lock up and nothing will fix it except an adaptor reset (at least that's what Windows network troubleshooting tells me it did). Just last weekend I ran Ethernet cables to hardwire my home PC just in order to fix this problem.

Of course a VM does start out more stressed than the host, so I can believe it happens more easily in a VM.
BavariaR

Post by BavariaR »

thanks @socratis for the analysis, at least I am confirmed with the suspicion that it must be an USB issue between VM Guest an Virtualization layer which I probably cannot do much about except swallow the pill.

In deed like @mpack confirms it happened more often while I was watching videos inside IE / flash etc.. so under higher load and correct as well that I moved over to a USB Wifi dongle (Asus USB-AC53 Nano AC1200 Dual-Band Wi-Fi USB Stick ) used by my VM exclusively because I need to use certificates for authentication which are only available inside the VM W10 image.

Is their hope that future driver updates or VM releases could improve anything... I have pretty strong laptop where this VM is running on so not easily possible to find more power. XPS 15 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8750H, 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-2666MHz, 1TB M.2 2280 PCIe Solid State Drive.

It seems to run pretty stable as long as I don't stress the VM too much
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

BavariaR wrote: Is their hope that future driver updates or VM releases could improve anything...
I'm not sure who you mean by "their". The drivers which lock up are written by Netgear or Asus or whomever for their specific dongle. The VirtualBox devs have no influence over how robust those drivers are.
BavariaR

Post by BavariaR »

... at least what I experience in the VM is that all USB devices get reseted, it might be the fault of only a single one but it is not only the USB Wifi Dongle which is going down... all other USB devices from the VM as well
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Just to make it clear that it happens also on my OSX host from time to time, even when on idle... Simply with a Logitech mouse being the only device hooked up to a USB2 Belkin hub, that is connected to a USB3 port on my Mac. It needs to physically unplug everything and wait 10" before it can work again. :?