DVD Burner

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
eagle862

DVD Burner

Post by eagle862 »

Hello all!

I have been trying to find a suitable replacement for vmware workstation 6 and so far I have run into the same problem on all virtual platforms.

I have tried qemu, win4lin, parallels, and now virtual box.

qemu-kvm and virtualbox have the best performance, but they still will not allow me to read/burn dvds in the matshita dvd ram drive.

With vmware workstation, the windows guest reports the cd/dvd drive as a matshita dvd-ram uj-851s.

In qemu-kvm, the windows guest reports the cd/dvd drive as a qemu-cdrom, although it is attached to the /dev/scd0 same as vmware.

In virtualbox, the windows guest reports the cd/dvd drive as a vbox-cdrom, and it is connected to the /dev/scd0 same as vmware.

In vmware workstation 6 I can read movies/play movies and backup my wifes data, she has a need for windows for her business and school. I would like to move away from vmware, but until she can backup her data directly through winxp to the dvd-rw I will stick with vmware.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or ideas would be appreciated.

John
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

RTFM (User doc on Download Section) or search function. Problem was discussed several times, there is a solution through "VBoxManage"
eagle862

Thank you!

Post by eagle862 »

I had read the manual, and googled for ever, I just overlooked the VBoxManager stuff.

-dvdpassthrough worked wonders.

John
LFS-Nr-3305
Volunteer

Post by LFS-Nr-3305 »

Thanks to both of you, for asking, for answering, for feedback!! It's something I will have to solve within the next few days on my other PC :-).
ezeuba

Same problem here pls

Post by ezeuba »

I've been searching for a solution to this problem of virtualbox seeing a dvdrw drive as a cdrom with winxp as guest, but when I finally saw this post I thought I had it fixed. Problem is I can't see where or any reference to vboxmanage as regards a fix to thsi problem, as enumerated by stefan.becker. Please I would value any more detailed information on how to resolve this issue and make virtualbox see my dvdrw as it is.
Thank you very much.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

User Doc, 3.7.3
ezeuba

DVD Passthrough

Post by ezeuba »

Thanks Stefan for your reply and guidance. However, I have tried to get this to work but with no effect, it returns an error message that it cannot find the named vm which I specified in the command. I have finally gone to try and install fedora 7 as a guest on win xp. Let me see if this can work better for me as I need to have both dvd playback and burning on both OS. By the way, the network bridging in linux host was quite a challenge which I savoured and accomplished, much to my delight. Let me try with winxp as host now and see what happens.
Thanks again Stefan.