Windows Network Mapping Disk does not work

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Ainray

Windows Network Mapping Disk does not work

Post by Ainray »

My host is Debian Stretch, and have two guests are "win10" and "winxp" which suffer the same problem.

I cannot install software by double clicking it in the mapped network disk, although the mapping disk can be automatically mounted and accessed from guest in explorer.

I must copy the software from the mapped disk to guest "C" disk (Yes, it allows copy often, while "copy" maybe also do not work, then I must copy the software from the share folder in "\\vboxsvr" space)

Now i can install software in guest "C" disk.

I would like provide another bug (which maybe not the virtualbox, but i think it also consistent with the problem above). Everything can not index the mapped network disk, which can index the guest "C" disk.

All of these likely problems do throw mud at virtualbox.

Does anybody suffer from the same problem with me? How to get around with it . I cannot get any information about this.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows Network Mapping Disk does not work

Post by socratis »

Ainray wrote:All of these likely problems do throw mud at virtualbox.
Or at Windows? Because that's a known problem in the networked folders in Windows.

Explanation
When a user connects to a network share, Windows tries to connect with two sets of credentials. This fails due to the UAC control. It is so by design. For references and further reading on previous reports and the reasoning behind it (read especially the Microsoft links): PS. I answered to your post before noticing that it's a duplicate. The duplicate post has been removed.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.