Total newbie here...hard time with loading OS into VB

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
EastCoaster

Total newbie here...hard time with loading OS into VB

Post by EastCoaster »

So I have a class assignment to set-up FTP client/server, then use Cain & Abel to sniff the passwords used when logging into FTP sites...

I have a Windows 10 Pro on host computer.

I need a Windows 7 ISO version, because apparently Cain & Abel does not work with Win 10.
Even when I was able to activate Win 10 on Virtual box, it would ask for a product key, which I provided; said invalid; chose option without key; aborted operation and on an on...for four days...well, five now....

I keep running into issues of downloading Win 7 without a product key/ with a product key (for Win 10 which shouldn't work anyway on Win 7), and am totally frustrated with how to do this.

I hope this question is not TOO basic for the board...apologies if it is....tired of reading fixes on here/internet/youtube and just not getting it...

Thanks,
Greg
Columbia, MD
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Total newbie here...hard time with loading OS into VB

Post by BillG »

Cain & Abel is very old software. There are better products which will run on Windows 10.

You should not have any problems installing Windows 7 in a vm if you have the ISO or DVD and a product key. Simply assign the installation media the to optical drive of the vm (from the settings display of the vm) and start the vm.
Bill