Use VirtualBox from USB flash drive on different PC

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Sergey13

Use VirtualBox from USB flash drive on different PC

Post by Sergey13 »

Hello!
Host - Windows 7 (64 bit), Guest - Windows 7 (64 bit)
Using a home computer I installed VirtualBox 5.2.20 on a USB flash drive. Program works fine. But on another computer with Windows 7 the program does not work, error code REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (0x80040154)
Please explain me how to run VirtualBox installed on a flash drive on other computers.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Use VirtualBox from USB flash drive on different PC

Post by andyp73 »

Sergey13 wrote:Please explain me how to run VirtualBox installed on a flash drive on other computers.
You can't (at least not easily). When you install VirtualBox a number of device drivers get installed into the Windows driver directory (typically C:\Windows\System32\Drivers) and these are registered with the host OS so that they get loaded at the appropriate time.

What you have installed onto your USB flash drive is only about 80% of VirtualBox.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The error message is telling you what's wrong. To paraphrase: there's a bunch of stuff that needs to be in the registry but isn't there.

Even if you got it to run, performance would be terrible. A USB flash drive is great for toting data around, not so great as a system drive. Way too slow, especially on writes.
Sergey13

Post by Sergey13 »

Performance is not so important to me. It is important for me that I can run virtual machine on any computer without installing it on a computer. As I understand it, for this it is necessary that VirtualBox be fully installed on USB flash drive.
Is it possible???
If Yes, PLEASE explain how to do it
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

As Andy already wrote: It is not possible to run VirtualBox without an installation because it needs system drivers.