Removing disk partition

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
tcss

Removing disk partition

Post by tcss »

Good day

I created a VHD file from my windows 10 laptop to experiment with virtual box on Linux.

The windows machine had 2 partition, C and D drives. I only used the C drive for the VHD file
In the virtual machine I see there is partition details for the D drive but no physical partition exists. In Windows partition manager I am able to remove the D drive partition, but am left with a huge chunk of allocated space,
How do I remove this unallocated space. All I requite in the VM is the C partition

This is my first post, and I do not see a way to upload a screen shot of the partition table to try and make this clearer.
The drive I am using will not be able to support the size of the D partition either.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Removing disk partition

Post by socratis »

The virtual machine does not use (or know) about your host's partitions. Everything is stored in a file, a file that in your guest appears as a (virtual) hard disk.

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual: Or even better, read the whole chapter 1. First steps.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
tcss

Post by tcss »

Thank you for those links and that information.
I have recreated the VM and all looks good.

Kind regards
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In your first post, were you saying partitions when you should have been saying drives?

If you really imaged a partition as the first post indicates then there's no way the VM could be working now. A partition image would be lacking the partition map and boot sector.

I was about to explain why your partition image wasn't working when I realized that you must be using the wrong word.