Windows machine stuck in loop while loading

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
PTP23

Windows machine stuck in loop while loading

Post by PTP23 »

Hi. I have been using VirtualBox to run Windows XP on my Macbook for years, but several days ago when I tried to start the virtual machine it began the startup process but windows never loaded. It cycles through the Windows XP loading screen with this message popping up for a split second. I made sure VB was the latest version and updated to Mojave OS, but the problem persists. What should I do?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 6.21.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-10-25 at 6.21.27 PM.png (74.79 KiB) Viewed 2889 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows machine stuck in loop while loading

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX Hosts". You're having a problem with your guest, not your host.

A lot of things can cause this kind of error, and it certainly isn't VirtualBox's problem, real systems do that as well. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

If everything else fails, you can always restore the VM from a recent backup.

But, to be completely covered from the VirtualBox point of view, we need to see a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
PS. For future reference, next time please downsize your attached images by 50% (at least), or simply change the DPI to 72. Not everyone has the luxury of a HiDPI display ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PTP23

Post by PTP23 »

Okay sorry about the image. I decided to just reinstall a new .iso of XP in a new virtual machine. Now I'm stuck on the License Agreement screen because I can't click anything and it doesn't respond to any keyboard commands...
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

A ZIPPED log, as described above, is still required...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
PTP23

Post by PTP23 »

Here it is.
Attachments
XP-2018-10-26-10-37-06.log.zip
(18.65 KiB) Downloaded 36 times