Keyboard stopped working after update

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
eyekay234
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: windows xp and fedora 13

Keyboard stopped working after update

Post by eyekay234 »

Hello

I just updated to this version of Oracle virtual box (Version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.6.2), the issue i am having now is that after updating and running a windows 7 virtual machine, it showed that i need to update to the latest version of guest addition which i did and now rebooted.

After rebooting, the keyboard is no longer being captured. The option for the mouse capture is totally disabled and also the mouse cant click on anything within the virtual machine. No keystroke is possible except for the right control button which just keeps displaying that the mouse capture is on and off when i click on it without anything happening within the virtual machine.

How do i rectify this as this is only happening within the windows 7 virtual machine i want to run out of 10 existing virtual machines?

I have included a screenshot of the grayed out option
Attachments
WORK-PC-2018-10-13-05-58-36.zip
Log file
(26.54 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
This is the screenshot of what i see
This is the screenshot of what i see
vitual box screenshot.jpg (109.06 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Keyboard stopped working after update

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.18 r124319 win.amd64 (Aug 14 2018 12:39:01) release log
00:01:14.680393 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.2.16 r123759 '5.2.16'
You didn't actually update the GAs.
00:00:04.412777 File system of 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
Get into the habit of ejecting from the guest the GAs CD once you're done installing the GAs.
00:00:04.509511 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001200000 (18 874 368, 18 MB)
00:00:06.914250 GUI: 2D video acceleration is disabled
And so is the 3D acceleration. Shutdown the VM and enable them in the VM settings » Display. You'll also notice that the max VRAM will jump from 128 to 256 MB after that; max the VRAM as well. Then (re)install the Guest Additions (GAs) in the guest.

Open a Command Prompt window, type the following command and post the output:
  • 
    "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" showvminfo "WORK-PC"
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

Thanks for the info. I adjusted the settings as you instructed and restarted the VM but i couldnt click on anything and the same thing is still occurring. Mouse and keyboard still unresponsive.

But this is the result of the output you wanted me to copy and paste below:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\EYEKAY>"C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxManage" showvminfo "WORK-PC"
Name:            WORK-PC
Groups:          /
Guest OS:        Windows 7 (32-bit)
UUID:            b4293dce-cb5f-492b-b7e8-b49e05a47f2f
Config file:     C:\Users\EYEKAY\VirtualBox VMs\WORK-PC\WORK-PC.vbox
Snapshot folder: C:\Users\EYEKAY\VirtualBox VMs\WORK-PC\Snapshots
Log folder:      C:\Users\EYEKAY\VirtualBox VMs\WORK-PC\Logs
Hardware UUID:   b4293dce-cb5f-492b-b7e8-b49e05a47f2f
Memory size:     2973MB
Page Fusion:     off
VRAM size:       256MB
CPU exec cap:    100%
HPET:            off
Chipset:         piix3
Firmware:        BIOS
Number of CPUs:  1
PAE:             off
Long Mode:       off
Triple Fault Reset: off
APIC:            on
X2APIC:          off
CPUID Portability Level: 0
CPUID overrides: None
Boot menu mode:  message and menu
Boot Device (1): Floppy
Boot Device (2): DVD
Boot Device (3): HardDisk
Boot Device (4): Not Assigned
ACPI:            on
IOAPIC:          off
BIOS APIC mode:  APIC
Time offset:     0ms
RTC:             local time
Hardw. virt.ext: on
Nested Paging:   on
Large Pages:     on
VT-x VPID:       on
VT-x unr. exec.: on
Paravirt. Provider: Default
Effective Paravirt. Provider: HyperV
State:           powered off (since 2018-10-14T14:16:00.000000000)
Monitor count:   1
3D Acceleration: on
2D Video Acceleration: on
Teleporter Enabled: off
Teleporter Port: 0
Teleporter Address:
Teleporter Password:
Tracing Enabled: off
Allow Tracing to Access VM: off
Tracing Configuration:
Autostart Enabled: off
Autostart Delay: 0
Default Frontend:
Storage Controller Name (0):            SATA
Storage Controller Type (0):            IntelAhci
Storage Controller Instance Number (0): 0
Storage Controller Max Port Count (0):  30
Storage Controller Port Count (0):      2
Storage Controller Bootable (0):        on
SATA (0, 0): C:\Users\EYEKAY\VirtualBox VMs\WORK-PC\WORK-PC.vhd (UUID: adc018ba-85a8-4b53-8c0f-09e3c1b04ed1)
SATA (1, 0): Empty
NIC 1:           MAC: 0800275608F9, Attachment: NAT, Cable connected: off, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: allow-all, Bandwidth group: none
NIC 1 Settings:  MTU: 0, Socket (send: 64, receive: 64), TCP Window (send:64, receive: 64)
NIC 2:           MAC: 0800271F6DBC, Attachment: NAT Network 'NatNetwork', Cable connected: on, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny, Bandwidth group: none
NIC 3:           MAC: 080027C4B257, Attachment: Internal Network 'intnet', Cable connected: off, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny, Bandwidth group: none
NIC 4:           MAC: 080027F4BA9F, Attachment: NAT Network 'NatNetwork', Cable connected: off, Trace: off (file: none), Type: 82540EM, Reported speed: 0 Mbps, Boot priority: 0, Promisc Policy: deny, Bandwidth group: none
NIC 5:           disabled
NIC 6:           disabled
NIC 7:           disabled
NIC 8:           disabled
Pointing Device: USB Tablet
Keyboard Device: PS/2 Keyboard
UART 1:          disabled
UART 2:          disabled
UART 3:          disabled
UART 4:          disabled
LPT 1:           disabled
LPT 2:           disabled
Audio:           enabled (Driver: DSOUND, Controller: HDA, Codec: STAC9221)
Audio playback:  enabled
Audio capture: enabled
Clipboard Mode:  Bidirectional
Drag and drop Mode: Bidirectional
VRDE:            disabled
USB:             enabled
EHCI:            disabled
XHCI:            disabled

USB Device Filters:

<none>

Bandwidth groups:  <none>

Shared folders:

Name: 'SHARED', Host path: 'C:\Users\EYEKAY\Documents\SHARED' (machine mapping), writable

Capturing:          not active
Capture audio:      not active
Capture screens:    0
Capture file:       C:\Users\EYEKAY\VirtualBox VMs\WORK-PC\WORK-PC.webm
Capture dimensions: 1024x768
Capture rate:       512 kbps
Capture FPS:        25
Capture options:    ac_enabled=false

Guest:

Configured memory balloon size:      0 MB
Last edited by socratis on 14. Oct 2018, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][code] tags for better readability
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

Thanks for responding to my query on the forum. I have posted the reply just as you requested and want to know if there is anything else that i need to do to ensure that the virtual machine comes on as i dont have any other means of controlling that virtual machine .

I really need that machine to come on as its a clone of my old laptop with lots of apps and stuff i cant get access to again anywhere else
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

eyekay234 wrote:as its a clone of my old laptop
I don't think that you mentioned that detail before... it's kind of vital, don't you think? Can you press "F8" as soon as the VM starts? And I literally mean the "as soon" part. If you can, boot into safe mode, and go to the Device Manager, see if you have any warnings regarding system devices.

BTW, do not focus on the Mouse integration. That's a red herring. If you have the GAs installed, it will be disabled.
SATA (0, 0): C:\Users\EYEKAY\VirtualBox VMs\WORK-PC\WORK-PC.vhd (UUID: adc018ba-85a8-4b53-8c0f-09e3c1b04ed1)
A VHD? I take it that this is the result of a "Disk2VHD" operation. Do you have an antivirus running on your host? Lately the antivirus vendors have developed the capability of scanning VHD files, and that may affect the response of the VM.
eyekay234 wrote:and stuff i cant get access to again anywhere else
Not even from your backup?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

Yeah. When i mean a clone, I mean i copied all the files and setups and installed in the virtual machine before i formatted and sold the laptop off. So basically the virtual machine is the last back up i have.

As regards booting in safe mode, I can boot into safe mode but even after booting into safe mode, the keyboard is also non responsive.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

eyekay234 wrote:So basically the virtual machine is the last back up i have.
Ouch! Make sure to make a backup of that VHD. I don't like it when people start crying... ;)
eyekay234 wrote:even after booting into safe mode, the keyboard is also non responsive
And the mouse? You can't move anything? As in ... dead? Do you at least see the clock advancing? Nah, you can't login, that question does not apply.

Do you have an RDP client on your host? Like MS's Remote Desktop? I believe it's built-in, it comes with Windows (my Win PC is currently dead, can't double check). You could try to enable the Remote Display server in the VM Settings » Display » Remote Display » Enable Server. Then use the MS RDP client to connect to rdp://localhost:3389
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

I am really at my wits end.. I didnt enable Remote desktop connection on the vm. What i had installed then was anydesk and i also shut down that to ofrom auto running during start up to enable the virtual machine run much more smoothly..

Any other thing you can suggest cos right now i am about to start *crying*
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

eyekay234 wrote:I didnt enable Remote desktop connection on the vm.
I didn't say to enable the RDP server inside the VM, but in the VM settings. Please read the instructions again...
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

Hello,

i enabled the RDP server in the VM settings here is a screenshot of it..
Attachments
Screenshot of rdp enabled
Screenshot of rdp enabled
RDP server enabled.jpg (119.31 KiB) Viewed 5733 times
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

I have also just updated the oracle virtual box application to the latest and it still didnt work. I am including the attachment of the vbox log for the virtual machine.
Attachments
VBox Log.zip
Virtual Box Log
(28.55 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

eyekay234 wrote:
USB:             enabled
EHCI:            disabled
I didn't notice this earlier, but can you enable USB2 in your VM settings?
eyekay234 wrote:I can boot into safe mode but even after booting into safe mode, the keyboard is also non responsive.
How can you boot into safe mode with no keyboard, when the keyboard is required to boot into safe mode? Doesn't compute...

Do you (by any chance) have any custom drivers for your keyboard/mouse? Either on your host or on your guest? That could trigger something like that...

And finally, if you want to access your data/files, you can add the VHD of this VM as a second disk to an existing working VM and retrieve them. Or you could try Hiren's Boot CD and fix your guest, because it certainly doesn't appear to be a VirtualBox issue, but a guest issue, especially if this guest is the result of a Physical-to-Virtual process...
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

How can you boot into safe mode with no keyboard, when the keyboard is required to boot into safe mode? Doesn't compute...
I can boot into safe mode cos when i restart the guest, the key board allows me select up and down for the various option when a pc doesnt shut down well and i select it.

Now after enabling the usb 2 s u state, i get to see two mouse icons on the desktop but none work.

As regards backing up my files. i can view the c drive when i select a bridged adapter and check in the network settings on my host machine and connect.

I dont have any custom drivers whatsoever and just shocked that just for this guest, mouse integration is totally grayed out. i even tried resetting the vm and nothing works
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

eyekay234 wrote:I can boot into safe mode cos when i restart the guest, the key board allows me select up and down for the various option when a pc doesnt shut down well and i select it.
So, the keyboard *is* operational at that point? Select the safe mode and boot into that.
eyekay234 wrote:Now after enabling the usb 2 s u state, i get to see two mouse icons on the desktop but none work.
1) what is "s u state"? 2) the mouse pointer doesn't move? 3) How about the keyboard? 4) I'm assuming that all of this is when you boot into "Safe Mode", otherwise do boot into "Safe Mode".
eyekay234 wrote:As regards backing up my files. i can view the c drive when i select a bridged adapter and check in the network settings on my host machine and connect.
Then backup your files, that's the most important thing.
eyekay234 wrote:I dont have any custom drivers whatsoever and just shocked that just for this guest, mouse integration is totally grayed out
Because it's a physical-to-virtual one?
eyekay234 wrote:i even tried resetting the vm and nothing works
What does "resetting the VM" mean?
eyekay234

Post by eyekay234 »

Everything works just before the boot up screen when the pc shows the windows message to either boot up in safe mode, safe mode with networking or safe mode with command prompt or start windows normally. After selecting any of the options, keyboard and mouse freeze up and dont work.