How does VESA BIOS change the analog information.

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Artlu

How does VESA BIOS change the analog information.

Post by Artlu »

Because the school's software detects whether the graphics card has the word VBox or virtual box.

Please tell me how to do it, thank you.

I know the software detects VBOX, and it detects the manufacturer of the graphics card, the driver name, whether it has VM and other text. I know to change the VBOX graphics card information, but I didn't find how to change it in the document, so I asked for help.
Last edited by Artlu on 6. Oct 2018, 12:29, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How does VESA BIOS change the analog information.

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure what the question is, but let me try... You have a piece of software that detects that it runs under a VM in VirtualBox and it refuses to run? Is that the problem?

And you want to find out which parts of the BIOS are responsible for that? And possibly change them? So that it passes the checks of the software?

If that's the case, I'm pretty sure that the developers of said software want to make absolutely sure that their "baby" doesn't run inside a VM. And that's one of the ways to do it. But 1) you'd have to build your own VirtualBox from scratch, 2) you don't know if it's the only check, and 3) if someone wants to make sure that their software doesn't run inside a VM, they can always, always tell, no matter what you do...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Artlu

Post by Artlu »

I know the software detects VBOX, and it detects the manufacturer of the graphics card, the driver name, whether it has VM and other text. I know to change the VBOX graphics card information, but I didn't find how to change it in the document, so I asked for help.
Last edited by socratis on 6. Oct 2018, 07:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Artlu wrote:but I didn't find how to change it in the document
What document are you referring to exactly?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Artlu wrote:Because the school's software detects whether the graphics card has the word VBox or virtual box.
I gather that you are trying to install software which refuses to install because it detects that it's a VM.

We can't help you with that, one reason being that it isn't possible.

Detecting the graphics card type is only one minor way of detecting a VM, it will not be the only method used by the software. And, even if you changed the graphics card type all you'd have then is a graphics card and no compatible drivers. Hardly a useful result.
Artlu

Post by Artlu »

mpack wrote:Detecting the graphics card type is only one minor way of detecting a VM, it will not be the only method used by the software. And, even if you changed the graphics card type all you'd have then is a graphics card and no compatible drivers. Hardly a useful result.
But if you do not modify the name of the video card, you will not be able to use the software. Because the VM graphics card is virtual, so the driver problem is basically not necessarily linked, in many cases the detection is not the driver name of the graphics card, but the content of the graphics card bios, because this is more difficult to solve.
Artlu

Post by Artlu »

socratis wrote:What document are you referring to exactly?
It's not a document. Instead, the name of the graphics card BIOS under the virtual box is changed, because the name of the motherboard BIOS and other modification documents, but did not find the graphics card. The graphics card is virtual, so it can be modified, but it doesn't know the method.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Artlu wrote:The graphics card is virtual, so it can be modified, but it doesn't know the method.
I already told you the way; build your own custom VirtualBox from the source code. There's no provision to change that from a command line or a preference.

But, you don't seem to be listening to what both mpack and myself are trying to tell you. It won't work 99.999%.
Artlu

Post by Artlu »

Thank you. I think I understand.
Last edited by socratis on 7. Oct 2018, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.