Hardware Recognition Rme hdsp 9632

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Tester 2018

Hardware Recognition Rme hdsp 9632

Post by Tester 2018 »

Goodmorning everyone,
a few days ago I'm trying to use Virtual Box. The host system is Windows 10 and guests are always Windows operating systems. I noticed that most of the hardware in the guest operating system is not recognized, and this is a very big point against Virtual Box. What sense does a virtual operating system make if the system itself does not recognize the hardware? Let me explain: I would like to use Virtual Box to try out demo software, to leave the operating system that hosts it "clean". To test the demo versions, however, I need the host operating system to recognize the audio drivers, or rather that the same Virtual Box (in the audio settings menu) will recognize the audio drivers. In this case I have a Rme Hdsp 9632 sound card and I need to install the drivers inside the guest operating system. But it is not, the guest operating system does not recognize and does not see the sound card, so no drivers, but even worse is that the same Virtual Box (in the audio settings) does not recognize the Rme HDSP 9632 sound card. There is a way to solve this problem? Otherwise I can safely uninstall Virtual Box and consider it a useless software ... Thank.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Hardware Recognition Rme hdsp 9632

Post by mpack »

Offer examples of hardware not being recognized, along with a specific guest OS, or this conversation isn't going to last long.

Note that VirtualBox provides a VIRTUAL MACHINE. That means that all the hardware seen by the guest OS is simulated. Any physical hardware you have connected to your host is irrelevant. It would be irrelevant even if the VM had simulations of that hardware.
Tester 2018

Post by Tester 2018 »

I wrote above what hardware is not detected: Rme hdsp 9632 sound card the host operating system is Windows 10 Home 64 bit, the "guest - or virtual - is Windows 7 64 bit.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

And as mpack said, the hardware in a virtual machine is virtual. It's not your host's hardware, it can't be by definition.

What you're looking for is an external/internal secondary boot. If you don't want to modify your host, but insist on using your real hardware, your only solution would be to boot from another hard drive. Physical boot, physical hard drive, physical hardware. You're not for virtual machines, they're not good for what you want to do. Your needs are different. That doesn't make virtualization software useless, it make your scenario useless for virtualization.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tester 2018

Post by Tester 2018 »

Thanks, ok I understand, so can you install an operating system on an external hard drive? Also an HD connected via USB? Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Well, that would depend on your hardware. I know i can boot my Methuselah PC (2006) from an external USB, and my Mac supports that too. You got to look into your manufacturer's documentation and/or your BIOS. But generally speaking, it's more and more a common option. Even Microsoft distributes Win10 as a bootable USB stick these days...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Tester 2018

Post by Tester 2018 »

Ok, thank you