Windows XP VM problems

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
jackoHD
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, XP-MCE, Vista, 7, 8

Windows XP VM problems

Post by jackoHD »

I have 2 Windows XP VMs, one running Professional SP3 and the other running Media Centre Edition 2002.
I was downloading some songs from YouTube on my MCE one and I got a bluescreen, and when the VM restarted I got stuck in a loop of bluescreens!
Worse still, the same is happening on my other Windows XP VM! What should I do? Please help!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows XP VM problems

Post by socratis »

I'm not sure that this qualifies as a VirtualBox problem. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.

Start with the bluescreen error codes for example. What are they?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jackoHD
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Win 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP, XP-MCE, Vista, 7, 8

Post by jackoHD »

The VM restarts before I get a chance to read the code :(

EDIT: I tried re-installing the normal Windows XP and it's working fine.
The MCE one is still bluescreening though.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Shut down the VM and issue the command:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "<VMname>" "VBoxInternal/PDM/HaltOnReset" 1
jackoHD wrote:Worse still, the same is happening on my other Windows XP VM!
I didn't notice that the first time. So, what changed in your system that causes all VMs to crash? A Windows update? A 3rd party antivirus update? A new program installation?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.