USB cameras vs. memory available

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
dnaddor

USB cameras vs. memory available

Post by dnaddor »

Hi everyone.

I use Linux Mint 19 as a host and Windows 10 Pro as a VirtualBox as a guest. I use high-speed USB industrial cameras which talk to Windows programs that we develop.

I have 16 gigs of memory. If I allocate 3072 megabytes of memory to Windows, everything works great. If I allocate 4096 megabytes or more of memory, the USB transfers fail, and I can only use the camera if I slow the frame rate way down.

I saw this same problem on my old I5 system. I have a brand new I7 system with SSD and I rebuilt the host and guest from scratch, but I still see the same thing. As long as I give Windows < 4 gigs, the cameras work fine. If it has 4 or more, they don't.

Any ideas why this might be occurring? Is there something magical about memory mapping which changes? Why would that impact USB?

Thanks,
Dave
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: USB cameras vs. memory available

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
dnaddor

Post by dnaddor »

The zip file contains:

3072.log when memory was set to 3072 and the camera worked fine
4096.log when memory was set to 4096 and the camera did not work correctly
Attachments
Logs.zip
(65.54 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There is nothing obvious in the logs. You should head to the bug tracker and either search for an appropriate bug, or open a new bug report where you'll attach your logs and other vital information.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.