Installing Win 10 from USB?

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
charmander

Installing Win 10 from USB?

Post by charmander »

Hello,

I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit into a VM from a USB stick that came from Microsoft. This did not work, so I turned it into a .vmdk file, and tried to load that into the VM, but as its going through the setup, it gets to a point where it says windows cannot be installed, because the drive is not NTFS. When I click format, the VM gives an error and goes dim.

Am I going about this the wrong way?

Is there a way to format it as NTFS, or would the best thing be to download the .iso from Microsoft and load that?

Any help is appreciated.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: Installing Win 10 from USB?

Post by BillG »

There is no option to install from USB for the vm. Download the Windows 10 x64 ISO and allocate that file to the optical drive of your vm and install from that.

The current version of Windows 10 is always available for download. Search for download windows 10.
Bill
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

charmander wrote: I'm trying to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit into a VM from a USB stick that came from Microsoft.
A VirtualBox VM emulates a legacy PC from the days when USB support was provided by the installed OS, not by the PC BIOS. Therefore it is impossible for USB to be working in a VM before the OS installer has been run.
charmander

Post by charmander »

Thanks all,

I have downloaded the .iso file and it is working great.