Windows 10 64-bit Guest Hanging on Install on Windows 10 Host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
LLOZ

Windows 10 64-bit Guest Hanging on Install on Windows 10 Host

Post by LLOZ »

Hello,

I am trying to install Windows 10 64-bit as a Guest on Windows 10 Home 64-bit Host for a class. I was able to install CentOS 7, so I know VirtualBox is working. Just not sure why Windows 10 is not installing. I am using VirtualBox version 5.2.18 r124319 (Qt5.6.2). The install file I'm using is an iso file "Windows 10 Education, Version 1803 (Updated March 2018) 64-bit (English)". I have 8 GB RAM on Host, and 2048 MB for the Guest.

This is the error message I get:
Why did my PC restart?
There's a problem that's keeping us from getting your PC ready to use, but we think an update will help get things working again.
Here's how to get the update:
1. Make sure your PC is plugged in.
2. If this PC used WiFi, select Next to follow instructions to connect to a Wi-Fi network.
3. If this PC does not use Wi-Fi, insert a network cable to connect to wired network, and select Next.
4. Once you're connected, select Next, and the update will install.
I've tried #2 and #3, getting the same result. I've tried changing any number of settings, even though the homework has specific steps and the other students were successful.

My apologies if this is already addressed elsewhere, please direct me to it, as I was unable to find anything that addressed my issue.

Thank you for your time.
Attachments
VBoxHardening.zip
(23.29 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 64-bit Guest Hanging on Install on Windows 10 Host

Post by socratis »

Get the Win10 ISO from Microsoft. Create a Win10 VM, install using the downloaded ISO. See if it works.

If it doesn't, we're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Moved from "Windows Hosts" to "Windows Guests".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.