Update to 5.2.18 no mouse or host key

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Mark_NZ

Update to 5.2.18 no mouse or host key

Post by Mark_NZ »

Have just upgraded to latest version 5.2.18. Also added VBox Extension Pack. Running Windows 10 on high end PC host, and had previously installed Windows 7 into Guest OS. Purpose was to install Minitab 14 which has not been upgraded / supported for Windows 10. Have a lot of data that needs migrating for import to SPSS.

Once upgraded to VBox 5.2.18, mouse is visible but unmoving. Default Host ket right-Ctrl not working. In fact, nothing is responsive - keyboard, mouse and generally hitting any key. Have to do host computer reset and restart host Windows 10 machine. Have Googled for solutions but all suggestions assume host key working which mine isn't. Tried changing host key to Alt - that didn't work either. Changed back to Right Ctrl and still not working. Tried disabling auto keyboard capture - still no keyboard or mouse and have to rebbot.

Help please. Previous version of VM (4 I think) I could at least use keyboard and mouse, and Minitab worked in the guest Win7 OS. I never did solve a problem with accessing USB hard drive - that was the reason I did the upgrade to VBox version 5. Now I can't get at my data at all!

Thanks in advance
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Re: Update to 5.2.18 no mouse or host key

Post by Martin »

Make sure that you don't have a generic USB filter in the VM settings which grabs keyboard and mouse.
Mark_NZ

Post by Mark_NZ »

Martin wrote:Make sure that you don't have a generic USB filter in the VM settings which grabs keyboard and mouse.
Thanks Martin. USB options in Settings show I have USB3.0 checked, and 5 USB devices are listed and checked. Don't think This is the problem. Any other suggestions?
Mark
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Mark_NZ wrote:5 USB devices are listed and checked
Start unchecking them. One of them is the culprit.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.