[WorksForMe] Mac OS High Sierra Host - Windows 10 Guest - Shared folder is read-only (#17949)

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
mb2

[WorksForMe] Mac OS High Sierra Host - Windows 10 Guest - Shared folder is read-only (#17949)

Post by mb2 »

ModEdit; related ticket: #17949: Mac OS High Sierra Host - Windows 10 Guest - Shared folder is read-only
I have created a shared folder. I made sure that read-only is not checked.
Virtualbox guest additions is installed. When shared folder is mounted, all directories in the Windows 10 guest are marked as read-only. Unchecking them, to make writable does nothing.

Specs:
Virtualbox: 5.2.18 r124319(Qt5.6.3)
Guest: WIndows 10 pro from microsoft
Last edited by socratis on 28. Aug 2018, 01:58, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mac OS High Sierra Host - Windows 10 Guest - Shared folder is read-only (#17949)

Post by socratis »

I was going to ask you for a VBox.log, but then I remembered that you already opened a ticket, with a log: https://www.virtualbox.org/raw-attachme ... 9/VBox.log, in case anyone else wants to take a look at it and to avoid duplication.
00:00:01.194185 Path <string> = "/Users/mbright/VirtualBox VMs/WinDev1806Eval/WinDev1806Eval-disk001.vmdk" (cb=73)
Was this VM installed by you? Or did you download a pre-made VM?

Your setup looks good as far as the Shared folders go. Can you describe what you mean by "read-only". Are you trying to copy a file from the (for example) the Windows Desktop to "\\VBoxSvr\Trax", or are you trying something different? Post the output of:
  • 
    id
    ls -alde@ /Users/mbright/code/Trax
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mb2

Re: Mac OS High Sierra Host - Windows 10 Guest - Shared folder is read-only (#17949)

Post by mb2 »

This is a vm that was created by Microsoft. Their developer download.

output:
drwxr-xr-x  19 xxxx xxxx  608 Aug 27 10:35 /Users/mbright/code/Trax
(sanitized a little the above output)

When I say read-only, I have made sure the shared folder is read-only, however, when in the WIndows 10 environment, it is weird. When you view the properties on directories, mounted via the shared folders, you find that every directory is marked as read-only. When you view the properties for the files, you see that the files are writable. If you attempt to edit a file, using notepad, it seems to save. When accessing that file system via IIS, an error indicates that the web.config has invalid xml. However, when parsing that xml file, it parses just fine (done via the host, not the machine.)

So....from what I can tell, something is honoring the folder read-only, and another is borking not being able to read the files. That's as far as I have gotten.
Last edited by socratis on 27. Aug 2018, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote][pre] tags for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Sanitized? A little bit?
Are you kidding me? That's exactly what I wanted to see. That and the output of 'id'. How on earth am I going to diagnose something that you obfuscate? I don't even know if you're the user or you belong to the group! Read my signature. I should be "sanitizing" my answer to see how far we'd go...

If you can read and write files with simple operations, then the whole thing is working as it should. VirtualBox's Shared Folders present a really simplified file system implementation, just enough to read/write files from/to the guest. Many applications can error when using Shared Folders, because they expect advanced features, for example file locking, access controls, etc., which don't exist as a concept for Shared Folders.

If you want things like that to work in your case, use a true network share (SMB, NFS, WebDAV), not a VirtualBox Shared Folder...

PS. When including the output of a command, it's a good habit to include the command itself as well.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mb2

Post by mb2 »

I apologize for any offense my sanitization caused. That was the very first thing I verified. As far as what you are indicating with the OS requiring advanced permissions, that makes more sense as to what I am seeing.

In the future, it might be good to be kind to people posting on a forum for the first time. Considering the response from both the forum and the bug ticket, my experience has been one fraught with aggression, pride, and derision. I again apologize for frustrations I have caused and thank you for your time.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mb2 wrote:I apologize for any offense my sanitization caused.
It's not offensive, it's obfuscating, it's preventing the diagnosis of the problem. Like going to the doctor complaining about pain, but not revealing where the pain comes from.

As for the rest of your comments, I fail to see where you've been treated like that, honestly. Do you have any citations? Because the "Are you kidding me?" is taken as "aggression, pride and derision", then you might need to adjust your sensitivity meter a tad...

Marking as [WorksForMe].