Virtual Box crashes when attempting to use USB to Serial device

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Trey

Virtual Box crashes when attempting to use USB to Serial device

Post by Trey »

Hello. I work as a building automation technician and sometimes have to work on older devices that need an instance of Windows XP with some archaic software to connect with them.

Well, I got VirtalBox installed on my Windows 7, 64 bit laptop. I got a hold of the correct software with all of the patches to use a USB to Serial adapter cable needed to communicate to the ancient controllers. My com ports are set up correctly, this I'm certain. HVAC pro needs to use COM2, and that's what I have selected. A pop up comes up, as HVAC Pro is suppose to, called "communication handler" and simultaneously freezes Windows XP. I'm curious if you guys can help me figure out what I can do to resolve the issue. A co-worker of mine has an old computer that we use, but it's days are numbered and we have to figure out some alternative for emergency service situations.

I can provide any kind of log files needed. I tried attaching files here, but it wouldn't allow me to attach those file types for some reason.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual Box crashes when attempting to use USB to Serial device

Post by socratis »

Trey wrote: My com ports are set up correctly, this I'm certain.
I'm not, I'm a little bit of a doubting Thomas. ;)
I'd like to see some evidence for that statement. I want to know how you've setup your host and your guest. Please read the following thread: USB basics and troubleshooting, all of the posts.

If you still have a problem after reading through the whole thing, please follow the advice of the last post, #8: Asking for help and post the information requested.
Trey wrote: I tried attaching files here, but it wouldn't allow me to attach those file types for some reason.
What files would that be? The "proper" way to gather the evidence is already described in part #8: Asking for help, the link that I gave you before...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.