Windows 10 black screen

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
SamuelJD

Windows 10 black screen

Post by SamuelJD »

Hello,

I'm new to all this stuff.

I installed windows 10 64 bits. It was working. I went to sleep while it was doing the typical windows update after installing it from scratch.
This morning, windows was a black screen. 2D and 3D are enabled. I can see the windows logo before it goes all black.

Attached the logs. What can I do?

Thanks
Attachments
Windows 10-2018-08-18-10-42-57.log
(126.11 KiB) Downloaded 132 times
Last edited by socratis on 18. Aug 2018, 11:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 10 black screen

Post by socratis »

First and foremost, before I forget it, I've already deleted one of your two identical logs; we don't need double the work load of analyzing the same log. Second, could you please edit your message and replace the log with a ZIPPED version? It helps save a (virtual) tree or two... ;)
00:00:02.251926 Host RAM: 16285MB (15.9GB) total, 14475MB (14.1GB) available
00:00:03.127263 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000080000000 (2 147 483 648, 2 048 MB)
I would give your guest a little bit more breathing room, like 3 or 4 GB. You can most certainly afford it...
00:00:03.127484 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000008000000 (134 217 728, 128 MB)
Same thing with the VRAM, I would max it out to 256 MB.

I do NOT however see any indication that you have installed the Guest Additions (GAs) in your Win10 VM. Do install them! Go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and either follow the prompts, or open the CD inside your VM and run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".

Other than that, your VM looks spotless; no hardening errors, nothing rejected.
  • Can you attach the VBoxHardening.log ZIPPED as well?
  • What does the Preview show in the VM Details in VirtualBox Manager?
  • What happens if you disable the 3D acceleration?
  • Even when shown a black screen, what happens if you click on it? It still remains black? Mine does the same thing (for years now), but when I click on it, everything works.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SamuelJD

Post by SamuelJD »

Hi,

Thank you for your input. RAM and VRAM updated.

There are news: now when I try to log in it shows a blue screen (typical windows 10 screen) stating that windows couldn't load, that it will reboot. After that, black screen again.
I do NOT however see any indication that you have installed the Guest Additions (GAs) in your Win10 VM. Do install them! Go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and either follow the prompts, or open the CD inside your VM and run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".
I can't find this option. Where is it located exactly? What are GAs?
Can you attach the VBoxHardening.log ZIPPED as well?
File attached.
What does the Preview show in the VM Details in VirtualBox Manager?
I attach a picture, I'm not sure this is what you are asking for.
What happens if you disable the 3D acceleration?
Nothing. The same.
Even when shown a black screen, what happens if you click on it? It still remains black? Mine does the same thing (for years now), but when I click on it, everything works.
I can see the mouse moving but nothing else.
Attachments
preview.zip
(48.56 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
hardening.zip
(25.16 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Last edited by socratis on 19. Aug 2018, 06:47, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [quote] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I would like you to try the Internet Explorer compatibility VMs, specifically the "MSEdge on Win10 (x64) Stable (17.17134)", 4.3 GB. See if you still have the problem...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
SamuelJD

Post by SamuelJD »

Black screen as well... :(
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Post a ZIPPED VBox.log from the MSEdge VM that you got from Microsoft.

As far as your previous question that I forgot to reply, I hope that the following makes it clearer:
SamuelJD wrote:
I can't find this option. Where is it located exactly? What are GAs?
SamuelJD

Post by SamuelJD »

Thank you for your continuous support, socratis.
Go to the menu "Devices" » "Insert GAs CD image..." and either follow the prompts, or open the CD inside your VM and run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe"
I click there but... Nothing happens. No prompts. And I don't know how to open my CD inside the VM, sorry...

I attach the logs from de MSEDGE VM (check ZIP file).

Thank you one more time,
Attachments
Desktop.7z
LOGS
(49 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SamuelJD wrote:Nothing happens. No prompts. And I don't know how to open my CD inside the VM, sorry...
Something does happen; you're inserting the GAs CD in the virtual CD drive of your VM. You then simply open a Windows Explorer and you go to the D:\ drive (that's the default at least). And then you run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".

As for navigating your VM's filesystem? I'm sorry, but what on earth are you talking about? Your host is Windows 10! You can't find the CD on a Windows 10 VM? :shock:

I'm downloading the MSEdge VM to compare our logs. It's going to take a while... Maybe tomorrow. Ping me...
SamuelJD

Post by SamuelJD »

I'm sorry but as I said at the beginning, I'm very new to all this.
Something does happen; you're inserting the GAs CD in the virtual CD drive of your VM. You then simply open a Windows Explorer and you go to the D:\ drive (that's the default at least). And then you run "VBoxWindowsAdditions.exe".
Is this supposed to be in the W10 disk? I click there but I'm not sure what to do next. In my W10 installation disk I have the following (see picture attached).
As for navigating your VM's filesystem? I'm sorry, but what on earth are you talking about? Your host is Windows 10! You can't find the CD on a Windows 10 VM? :shock:
I guess I'm not following right... I use the MSEdge ISO and after double clicking and a few minutes, the screen was black (and now it always is).

Again, apologies for knowing so little, appreciate your time...

I'm going on holidays for a week so you have plenty of time to check, if you have the chance.

Thank you
Attachments
Untitled.zip
(12.08 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

SamuelJD wrote:Is this supposed to be in the W10 disk?
Please, read more carefully the replies:
socratis wrote:you're inserting the GAs CD in the virtual CD drive of your VM.
Why are you referring to the Win10 disk? I told you: in the virtual CD drive of your VM. I don't know how to make this clearer...
socratis wrote:I would like you to try the Internet Explorer compatibility VMs, specifically the "MSEdge on Win10 (x64) Stable (17.17134)", 4.3 GB. See if you still have the problem...
I'm sorry, but did you see anywhere in my message anything mentioned about changing the VM settings? No. Why? Because I wanted to see what's going on with a standard VM. You went ahead and modified the VM settings. PLEASE DON'T.

Delete the VM that you imported (including its files) and then re-import the MSEdge OVA. Do *not* change any settings, just start the VM, wait for 10 minutes, login (if you can), shut down the VM (force it if you have to). Then post the ZIPPED VBox.log.

Experimentation and taking the initiative are a good thing in general. Not in this case where I want to compare apples to apples...
SamuelJD

Post by SamuelJD »

Hello,

Very quickly as I'm going on holidays, I attach the logs after doing it from scratch. It couldn't load windows, the message from the windows screen was that it couldn't fix the boot problems.

I downloaded the file, imported and executed. After that, I shut it down and saved the logs. Hope these are apples!

PS: Regarding GAs, will google it up once I'm back, apologies for my poor knowledge.
Attachments
Desktop.7z
(46.03 KiB) Downloaded 77 times