[Resolved] Windows 10 PPTP VPN setup

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
stevo2018

[Resolved] Windows 10 PPTP VPN setup

Post by stevo2018 »

I have a MAC running High Sierra as a host. I am currently running VirtualBOX Version 5.2.14 r123301 (Qt5.6.3)

I am currently having some issue getting a Windows VPN connection to work within the guest. I have tried both bridged and NAT for my network. I consistently get the following error message in my Win10 VM guest: the modem (or other connected device) is already in use or not properly configured.

I was hoping there was a step by step setup I could follow.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Aug 2018, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Windows 10 PPTP VPN setup

Post by mpack »

Did you search the user manual for the term VPN? It specifically says that you can't use VPN-PPTP with NAT.

It should however work with bridged networking, provided bridged networking works for you otherwise, i.e. when not using VPN.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Moving to "Windows Guests" from "OSX Hosts" as this appears to be a guest issue.

Searching for "the modem (or other connected device) is already in use or not properly configured" returns (among many, many links) the following Microsoft article: See if that helps. Just because an OS/program that runs in the context of VirtualBox has a problem, it doesn't make it a VirtualBox problem necessarily. You're having an issue that has most probably nothing to do with VirtualBox, so my suggestion would be to treat it as such, as a native problem with the OS or the application of the guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
stevo2018

Post by stevo2018 »

Socratis,

That solved the issue, but after subsequent reboot, the same condition returned, with no visual process running on 1723.
I explored further within the Windows stack as you suggested, and to your point, VirtualBox was not holding anything back at this point..

I ended up setting Remote Access Connection Mgr to manual within Services, then rebooting, and that let me connect.

I noticed the same behavior in different profiles, and the fix all worked for them all

Thanks again for you assistance with that article. :D
Last edited by stevo2018 on 14. Aug 2018, 20:59, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. You also learned that a problem in a VM is not necessarily a VirtualBox problem... ;)
Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.