[Solved] Help with broken W10 video driver

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
rjmusto

[Solved] Help with broken W10 video driver

Post by rjmusto »

Version 5.2.16 r123759 (Qt5.6.3)

Running VB on OSX 10.13.6 and have a guest version of Windows 10 installed that has been working fine. A couple of days ago the Mac froze up on me while I had W10 running so had to do a forced shutdown (has happened before with no bad consequences).

But now launching Windows leaves me with just a black screen after the initial logo splash screen - sometimes with some random pixels appearing. So looks like the video driver is corrupted.

Is there a way to force a start into Safe Mode? (I've tried holding F8 but no luck) . Or some way to manually replace the driver. It would be a pity to re-install and loose all my apps and settings.

Thanks.
Last edited by socratis on 11. Aug 2018, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Help with broken W10 video driver

Post by mpack »

That's really a Win10 support question. :-

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/hel ... -safe-mode
rjmusto

Post by rjmusto »

Yeah, I've already been round that loop. And I find it hilarious that to get Win10 into Safe Mode, you need a working copy of Windows to start with. Kind of self defeating.

Like I said, all I have is a black screen. I don't get to see the login screen in order to make any selections. I was hoping there was a key combination that would force a boot into safe mode.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

rjmusto wrote:I was hoping there was a key combination that would force a boot into safe mode.
You either didn't search at all, or you didn't use the appropriate terms. Searching for "Windows 10 boot into safe mode" I got this: 7 ways to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 10. Take a look at 4, 5, 6, an 7.

Remember that in order to Reset a VM, you press HostKey+R.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
rjmusto

Post by rjmusto »

I don't think there's any need for the sarcasm - of course I searched for a answer, but the only ones I found needed at least the login window.

However, your reply has helped me fix the problem. So thanks for that. The cmd+R reset I didn't know, and yes, it forced windows into a repair mode that has corrected the error.

So all's well that ends well.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

That was not sarcasm. That was the simple truth, I'm sorry that you perceived it like that. Plugging in the correct search terms is often the biggest "talent" in achieving appropriate search results.

Glad you got it going at the end. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.